1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Converting Tonage to Yards - Dirt

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JimLewis, Nov 12, 2007.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Ok. So I am doing this landscaping and irrigation job down in Phoenix area this week. And they sell all the dirt by the ton. Where I am from it's all sold by the yard. So I am not sure how much to order. I know how many yards I would need, but I have no idea how many tons that is.

Anyone have any idea how much one ton of dirt equates to in yards?
  2. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

According to the conversion chart I have: 1 ton = 150sqft 2" deep
  3. mojob

Scratch that. I read it wrong.
  4. mojob

OK here's the real story according to my sand/topsoil guy: 1.25 tons = 1 yd
  5. skip1718

skip1718 LawnSite Member

Wel When Sanding A Yard. One Ton Of Sand At 1/8 To 1/4 Thickness Does 1000 Square Feet. Maybe That Will Help
  6. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

I also depends on the material used.

Call the place that you will be buying the soil from, and ask them what the conversion is per each product that you will be using. If they are reputable, they will know off the top of their heads. My guess, is they are more of a stone/rock/paver distributor, rather than soil/mulch.
  7. RHayden

RHayden LawnSite Member

1.25 is the conversion factor we use as well.
  8. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Dirt - 1 yard = 1 ton, but for mulch its different. Stone, sand etc are the same as dirt.
  9. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

10. crazymike

crazymike LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I go by this calculation. But it will greatly vary. If it rains the day before it will completely offset your calculation. Or if you get more rocks in one load, etc...

It also depends by who loads the truck. We move topsoil by the truckload. On average of 300+ loads a day easily from a new subdivision. Some trucks might hold 15-20 yards, some you can pack 25 into.