Conveyer chain

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by lawnboy53, Feb 7, 2001.

1. lawnboy53

lawnboy53 LawnSite Member
    from Neb

Fellas,
    What is the best way to change the conveyer chain on my Western sander?
    Leave it on the truck? Take it off?
    It is on a 9'flatbed, 8' Sander.
    Unbolt it? Cut the chain with a blue wrench

Do you guys bolt your sander down or use chain and tensioners?
    Thanks in advance

2. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

Take it off would be my approach.
    We only had to replace one on our 8 yarder.That one is bolted to the frame and we could access the bottom no problem.
    Good Luck

3. Alan

Alan Member

What I have done is to grind the rivet heads off the chain pins n trhe same link on both sides. Couple the new chain to the old one and run in with the power of the machine. Lay the new chain out on a piece of plywood or some such thing. Have an assistant keep bumping the clutch while you feed the new chain into teh hooper and pull the slack out of the old chain. Everything will slide right through, you may have to tug some to keep the chain coming back on the return side but in mere moments you will have the new chain in place. Then pull the pins out of the temporary connection and make your connection up in the hopper. Back the adjusters all the way off and hook a comealong or binder across a couple crossbars to give you slack enough to work with.

4. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

Alan,
    That is a great way to change the chain.Learn something new every day on this site.
    Wish mine went that easy!
    Thanks for the tip
    P.S. Love the wooden plow story.

5. Alan

Alan Member

That shows my farm background, we used to do it that way when we had to change the bed chain in a manure spreader. There was really no way you wanted to have to crawl under those things.