Convincing Wife!?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Greg313, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Greg313

Greg313 LawnSite Member
    from Houston

I've been cutting lawns part time this year and have 7 loyal customers that I do on the weekends and some that I do just odd-jobs for. I love working outside and the feeling that I accomplished something at the end of the day. I hate sitting at this desk 5 days a week, I'm not programmed for this type of work (for a messly 12.25hr). I've researched probably ever thread on this web-site for the last 8 months and feel that I can do this full time. I know that I wouldn't be able to quit here until I get more accounts but I don't want to stay here forever. I completly understand that its hard to start and "the grass isn't always greener on the other side" so to speak but I really think that I need to take the risk. With working 40hrs here its hard for me to take any more accounts on Saturdays (espically in the Houston heat) because I just use a 21 inch mower and would like to have some of my weekend left (usually home by 2 or 3). I really need to get a 36inch WB and I know that I could more that double my productivity on just that one day and know that if she sees that money coming in she would feel better about going full-time. I have conections for commercial properties as well but would never do them with a 21inch. I plan on starting with mowing and small landscpaing jobs, planting, bed installs, etc. and hopefully get into the full design and installs later. The problem being that she already flipped out and barely talked to me for almost a week when I invested just $500 last spring on a mower. Which got paid off in no time. By the way she bought signs for my truck for my birthday but doesn't see why I need to spend 2grand on a WB. What's the point of the signs if I can't take anymore customers? Does anyone elses wife do the same thing? I know what everyone is going to say "Put your foot down" but I've tried bringing this up to her and she doesn't understand you have to invest money to make money etc, etc. Also, She loves the job she does (nursing) why can't I enjoy my work. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for bringing my domestic affairs to work. Thanks.

If thread needs moved to "Just Starting" thats fine.

2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Keep in mind, that for most organizations that go from part to full time, they usually kiss their weekends goodbye for the first few months to a year.

Something else to think about is health and prescription drug insurance. You don't say if you have insurance or if your wife's is better and covers you, but it's a lot more noticeable when you pay the full amount by yourself with no contribution from a large company.

Maybe you can find you a decently used 32" mower to move up to for now for around $1000 or so. It's not quite a 36" hydro, but it's still more productive than a 21 in most situations.

If you feel you want to do it.. do it, but always have a backup plan in case it doesn't work out. (true for any job now though)

3. Cigarcop

Cigarcop LawnSite Member

Communication with the wife is good, we talk, if she shows resistance, I do it anyway!

4. Cigarcop

Cigarcop LawnSite Member

Almost forgot, I've been divorced once already!!!

5. Greg313

Greg313 LawnSite Member
    from Houston

By the way, I just cancelled my health insurance here and got on my wife's which is probably the best I've ever heard of and didn't cost us any more a month for me to be on it. Cost us only $25 for us to have our baby in June. That includes all the office visits, hospital stay, everything. For all the single guys out there.. marry a nurse.
    I've looked at every brand of mower and every size, trust me on that. I've been leaning to a Lesco 36 or a Quick 36 just for the price of them. I would love to have a eXmark or Scag but she would probably divorce me haha, just joking. Mowing and landscaping is the back-up plan for this job.

6. LawnJohn

LawnJohn LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Everything Newz mentioned above are things you should take into account.

Like you I'm part-timing it and I have full time intentions, however I have a wife, kids, big house and all the other "goodies" to pay for. All of which my full time job pays for.

My recommendation is to have a plan then talk to your wife before you do anything else.. If she got pissed at spending $500 man....you'll be in deep doo doo once you spend $$ for other equipment.

I wish you only the best!

Good luck!

LJ

7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

there are no weekends off, not for a solo start up, get used to that idea,

you need to get the bigger mower, and spend every evening and weekend working, to get established in your area....

i work full time job, and lawn care and landscape over 40 hours a week, when weather and light allow

if the wife isnt on board, you have a long hilll to climb....

8. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I can see where you are at this point in life as far as the workplace is concerned. I spent 20 years on my first job after the service -- last 5-years was the schitts. Next job I really like for the next 18 years but the last couple years it got to be the double schitts.

If it is really eating on you (that job) you need to make a change if at all possible. Houston is way south of me and I think an LCO could be busy doing something all year long.

I hope your wife will see your side of it.

Nosmo

9. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

I work full time and I am lucky enough to get my 40 in only 4 days. I do lawn care and landscaping on afternoons and weekends. I too am hoping to leave my full time job next year, I have been at this for two seasons now and until the end of Nov. there is no time of. I own a lake house in Livingston and have only seen it once this year and that was for one hour to mow last weekend. My wife and I talk about the lawn company all the time, she backs me 100% and doesn't mind if I quit my full time job to go full time in the landscaping business as long as I can afford to purchase health insurance through the company. So for now I purchase equipment and keep chugging along. What part of Houston are you located, maybe we can help each other. Good luck with your plans.

10. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Work some evenings. You've got til dark. Save money buy a good used one.Pay cash. If you can wait it out both she and You will know if you really want to do this. Do it for next season, keep good records, then show her the math.