Cooked lunch on my manifold today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PetalsandPines, Aug 2, 2002.

1. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines LawnSite Member

With the oppressive heat we have, I stopped into an air conditioned store at 10:00 this morning, bought a can of "pull tab" chunky soup that was on sale for a buck, placed it on the manifold of my 97 F-350 and voila! by noon I had a steaming hot lunch, (just becareful of the glue that holds the label on) I nearly hotglued the can to my hand. Sorry this isn't as exciting as stripes, but this heat is making me delirious when I cut lawns. I don't know how you boys in the south do it! Some day we must begin a thread that deals with bentgrass, and how many times you have to tell the old folks year after year the same old story on bentgrass being a noxious weed in a bluegrass lawn.blah blah blah....lady....please don't rake your lawn!!!!

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

LOL!
    Yea it's hot here too. Highs today of 92 degrees, supposed to be up in the 100's next week (aaahh! :eek: :eek: ) but here it's not only hot, it's real muggy (very humid here in Indiana) so you sweat profusely at any time of the day at any hour (during the night too if you camp out) and low's of 68 during the nights! Needless to say I don't camp out much! Of course this is nearing our hottest part of the year for us, but the heat is keeping me in the house almost all the time, in the evenings if it cools off some I go out to the garage, turn the fan on high and piddle around alittle on my puller tractor or my Scag mower rebuild project, or whatever else.
    Drink lots of water and avoid soft drinks.
    Happy mowing!
    Eric

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Dont need a manifold to cook soup today!!!

4. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

it has been in the mid to high 90's here for about 3-4 weeks
    it has hit the 100's for a couple of days.
    the heat doesn't bother me it's the humidity here in Arkansas
    drink plenty of fluids

5. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

mowngrow- I knew it was hot but didn't know it had reached 100, no wonder I felt overheated today!
    Oh well, back to work tomorrow.

6. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Been hot (high 90's) here in SW Arkansas too.... Humidity has not been too high though. As for putting up with the heat? No real problem I just do one yard at a time, do not get in a hurry, and I do drink plenty of water.

Last customer today asked if I would check coverage on sprinkler system. Did not have to ask me twice. As I was already soaking wet, the cool water sure felt good.

Jim

7. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines LawnSite Member

The other night the low here was 80 Degrees with 90 - 100% humidity (I assume from lake erie)...Our Dewpoint has been as high as 78 the other day. Something is NOT right this year. This is Buffalo not Key West!!! Do you guys notice that the sun seems a lot more intense this year?

8. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

I 'bout fell out last saturday. I think I had heat exhaustion or something. I'm going to take some Gatorade with me today. Last sunday, just walking out of the house and breathing the hot, humid air was tough for me. I'm working on a more balanced business plan that will include weed/pest/fert applications and mowing hopefully will be done on higher end lawns or ones that I install. That's the goal and I'm working towards it. Not many scrubs competing for the chem applications.

9. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

I'm working about 70 miles south west of you in Buffalo, and know the feeling . Though withour elevation we are 10 degrees cooler.
    Thursday I wasted an hour going into stores looking for lenses for trailer lights.
    Don't bother if you really need one just buy a new assembly.
    But the A-C sure felt nice.
    I usually put down close to a gallon of h2o a day, and have added a half gallon of gatorade to my intake the last couple days.
    And still what comes out the other end looks like orange juice!
    LOL
    It's suppossed to be cooler Tuesday on into the week.

10. 99 wed
    then a cold front moved in thurs-high of 72, makes me wish for fall
    93 friday

guess it was just a teaser

88-89 have been the milder days, mostly 90's
    I take microwave popcorn with me, keep it in the cooler till I'm ready, expose to air for 3 minutes and you are ready to go