1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

cooking oil turned into diesel

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Frontstreetlawns, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Frontstreetlawns

Frontstreetlawns LawnSite Member

I heard rumors that there is a machine someone can buy that you can make cooking oil from resturants and turn into diesel. does anyone know were i can find that info?
  2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

it's called bio-diesel, you can't just use it in any diesel engine, it has to be modified to do so, it is very time consuming to make. do a google search for BIO-Diesel
  3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

4. straightlinelawns

straightlinelawns LawnSite Member

i run used transmission in my 250, never had a problem. it doesn't even smoke. just run it about 50/50 with regular diesel
  5. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

my buddy has a bio diesel business where he makes it and sells it to some of the big road construction companies in town. His initial startup costs were near 25k but he said there are cheaper less efficient methods. Pretty cool idea but as far as personal use probably not worth it.
  6. stuie

stuie LawnSite Member

We can buy Bio diesel here from one service station about 10 cents a litre cheaper than the standard pump price .Though with the fact the service station is 50 minutes away its not worth my time to go there.Hopefully more service stations will start to sell it.
    Diesel here has hit AUS$140.05 a litre.:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
  7. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

You can run a mix of 75% waste veggy oil to 25% diesel as long as the weather is pretty warm out, 50/50 in spring until the temps are up over 70. I used to run the mix in my truck, wasn't bio because I didn't process it with lye and methanol, I have a filter system that filters it 3 times, the last time is through a 10 micron filter, and if you want to you heat it to burn any water/impurity out.

Now then, I have found out that this add's to the engines wear, rings specifically. Theres a guy that makes systems pretty cheap for powerstrokes that has solenoids to start the truck on diesel and then it switches over to pre heated WVO, and then you hit a button approx. 30 seconds before shutting the truck off and it'll switch back to diesel for the shut down. He does blackstone oil tests and hasn't seen any problems with the new system, he was seeing alittle engine wear with the old way (just running the mix). If you have twin tanks you can switch from tank to tank (one has veggy one has diesel) but that would only be worth it if you were going long distance because it takes a few mins to cycle out unless you have the solenoid set up with by-passes.
  8. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Oh btw, they do sell cheap bio diesel processors. Do a search for "appleseed processor" I think thats what they're called, I never looked into them but heard they were good.

You can buy a kit online for 200-300 for all lines and fittings and then use an old water heater and make bio diesel with that. I have the website somewhere I can get it for you if you want, that was the cheapest route I saw, just making bio is a dirty process. It would cost roughly .30 cents a gallon to make it yourself with the used water heater set up.