Cool clothing for hot weather.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, May 30, 2001.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

It is really starting to get hot down here (no wind and very high humidity) and I am about to go buy some new clothes that will be cooler and wondering what you guys would reccomend for cool clothing for hot weather. I could use some suggextions here!

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Cotton! The way to go! Though our uniform shirts are a cotton blend, they are quite cool. Also, I don't know your policy, but we wear shorts in the really hot weather. They have to meet certain criteria though. First, they must be a canvas type material, cargo loike shorts that are atleast below mid thigh (no higher) and they must be either tan-khaki color, or green. No red, blue, or any other funky colors. Also uniform shirts must be taken care of and worn at all times. I just love when I see these guys out there in black concert shirts for bands like "Dirty Urine" and stuff. Beer shirts are another favorite. "Hey dude, I like your professional uniform with the marijuana leaf T shirt!":blob3:

3. Vibe,

I prefer 100% cotton T's, and Kahki shorts. I know some like the 50/50 blends but they burn me up. Go with light colors since they will be cooler by reflecting more heat instead of absorbing it.

4. Mike (MLC)

Mike (MLC) LawnSite Member

I know how you feel in the high humidity weather. Here is SE Texas is gets really bad. For sure go with 100% cotton shirts. That kind of fabric let air in better to cool you off. Make sure they are light colored. I'm not one for shorts, but if you are I would wear a lightweight kind.

5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Just got a Sears work gear catalog in the mail today. They have a shirt that has a mesh effect in it. Looks like a regular t-shirt, but is supposed to keep you cooler by letting the shirt breath.
    90% cotton-10% polyester. Limited colors though.

6. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

cotton t-shirts with company name and logo is a must, we wear jeans all year round, but washed each night after work. we don't mind alittle extra sweat for the money we are being paid, but we landscape in shorts, khaki color, with company shirt. our colors are a lite green for cutting, and yellow when landscaping. always have the steel toes, they are a must nomatter what you do.

7. jasonp

jasonp LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I have always liked the dickies work pants they are cooler than jeans and they seem to not attract grass as bad either. I cant stand to weedeat in shorts, but I think I heard someone talking about some sort of chapps that while you are weedeating you can put on if wearing shorts, I would like to see a pair of those and try them out.

8. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Wear Guard has the same Air-Flo shirt (90% cotton - 10% polyester) in their new catalog, and I've been considering ordering a couple from them. Anyone using these Air-Flo mesh shirts? Do they breathe as well as advertised?

-TGC

9. Grateful11

Grateful11 LawnSite Member

Straw hat with a big brim on it.

10. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

100% cotton t's pocket or logo, grey ash color doesn't show dirt as bad, bring a spare to change in after noon.
    cotton shorts or pants are coller than jeans, doo rag covered by a stray hat w/ wide brim- yes they are goofy looking but I got over that when I turned 30. gold bond powder in the shoes and elsewhere you need it.
    To really cool off in 95-100 degree temps, I put ice cold water on wrists and douse remaining hair on my head from 5 gallon cooler, and bring a towel to dry off. do once every hour and a half or so and this job ain't so bad ! safety sunglasses complete the look. :cool: