cool grass Id?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by basic lawn, Mar 29, 2003.

1. basic lawn

basic lawn LawnSite Member
    from nj

Need grass Id assistance. This is a cool grass, grows in bunches, and I see it a lot in shade ( tree lined areas in NJ).
    Thin blades and bunch looks "limp" at about 3 -4"and could use brushing or combing...does not look like an attractive turfgrass. What is the correct cutting height? 3-4 "? Any tips on maintenance?

thanks in advance///

basic

2. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

This is the only grass growing in the lawn? Or is it bunches of this type in with normal looking grass? Are leaves fatter than normal grass blades, and very dark green?

3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Thin blades, and looking limp at 3 to 4" sounds like a bentgrass. Does it pull out super easy?? A pic would be great.

Annual bluegrass should be pretty easy to peg as it seeds out easily, as seen from the posted pic.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That's what I was thinking was a form of bentgrass. It appears like very, very fine fescue, but can be combed up and stay, so to speak.

6. basic lawn

from nj

Very limpy, not very green, very thin blades. Look a little bit like angel hair. It is not an annual, and tolerates shade. If I had a picture, I would enclose it. Sorry. I do not have a digital camera.
    I look the Ortho book and did not see a picute of it. Could it be Canada bluegrass in NJ?

7. One of the fine fescues?

8. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like it might be Poa trivialis, AKA rough bluegrass or roughstalk bluegrass (but mostly just called Poa triv). Without a picture this is just a guess. Even with a picture, it would likely be a guess.

If you really want to know for sure, send a sample to your state diagnostic lab for ID.

9. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

basic lawn,

Can you tell us more about the site?

Rough bluegrass grows best in shady, wet sites. The chewing fescues grow well in dry,shady sites?

The chewing fescues have very fine blades (0.5 - 1.5 mm) and grow in bunches. They have no auricles and short membranous ligules.

Rough bluegrass blades are thicker (4 - 6 mm). They also have no auricles but their ligules are long, membranous and toothed at the tip.

Do you know how to look at and identify the auricles & ligules?

jim

10. basic lawn

from nj

Yes, points to rough bluegrass (wet sites) that was in my list of possibilities based on growing properties. I have seen books about auricles and ligules, but do not know much about itor how to best look at? If you care to expand, it would be welcome.

thanks to all.

basic.