Cool material for new uniforms

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by carcrz, May 30, 2006.

1. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I am wondering what the best material is to use for our new uniforms. I've seen tons of different kinds but want to make sure that it can hold up to abuse and not be so hot it is uncomfortable. I'm going to order cut-off style shirts (not tank-top) and some t-shirts for the guys, & some collared ones for myself. I think I'm going to want the guys' shirts screen printed & mine embroidered.

2. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

100% cotton = all day comfort !!!!!:usflag:

3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

The thing I am wondering is my current collared uniforms are 50/50 cotton/polyester blend. When it is 90 + out, I am sweating bullets & my shirt is soaked all day long to the point where it is unbearable. I have started wearing some Old Navy sleeveless shirts that I bought for like $20 ea & while they are much cooler, they really don't look all that great when my other guys aren't wearing the same thing.

4. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

ditch the polyester it will make you sweat like a ***** in church

5. ENDURO

ENDURO LawnSite Member

I'm also looking for some sort of material that not only cools, but also protects from the sun. Haven't found one yet, but I've heard of a few new materials that apparently wick the moisture away from your skin and then it evaporates and actually cools you. I think a lot of the new exercise clothing are made from it. Let me know if you find something good.

6. Hoss_27

Hoss_27 LawnSite Member

underarmour.com haven't personally tried them but I know a lot of cops that use'em and they have a lot of athletes convinced.

7. T. Wheeler

T. Wheeler LawnSite Member

$29.99-$79.99 per shirt. They do work great though. I have tried it. Also are school football team uses them

8. cessnasovereign

cessnasovereign LawnSite Senior Member

9. Hoss_27

Hoss_27 LawnSite Member

Well... he never said what he was willing to spend. :dancing:

All kidding aside, maybe some of the nicer under armour for you and some decent 100% cotton light colored shirts for the workers. With everyone wearing polos of the same color you could look uniform enough but the guy to talk to would still be recognizable. With the collars you workers could flip it up to protect their necks without worrying about extra towels or handkerchiefs. Actually most of the guys down here that are serious and do this every day wear long sleeve button up shirts w/collars.

10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I bought these type shirts last season...I will say they DO keep you cool, but they looked like sh** real quick...they snag on everything :cry: