Cool Season Fert Program

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by asjgabries, Jan 17, 2007.

1. asjgabries

asjgabries LawnSite Member

Please share you fert Plans. Here is mine. what you think?
    1.Early spring fertilizer and pre-emergent crabgrass control
    2.Late spring fertilizer and broadleaf weed control
    3.Summer fertilizer and grub control
    4.Fall fertilizer
    5.Winter fertilizer

2. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

that is pretty generic but it covers all the basics. If you are going to do nothing but fert. then this should be all you need but if you want to make some real money, do a soil test and make changes for each property. More of a headache but you will be able to charge more because you are not like the rest.

3. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

Good timing you have the rest of the winter to really come up with a good program.

You have two choices. One -- just use the standard Lesco program like you have above. Charge bare minimum and just try to get the grass to grow.

Or..... set yourself apart by really researching a good program. Commit yourself to growing the BEST grass in town. It will require a fair amount of studying and work to stay up with latest research.

Which direction do you think you are leaning?

4. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

If you can get in some of the nice developments along 926, then you should be set-up. I have a couple of houses in glen mills and all i can say is you better offer aeration because the soil is Terrible. gl

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

You must be a rookie. Get your license. Then consider adding a fall weed control. You want to kill perennials like ground ivy and dandelion plus winter annuals like chickweed, veronica, and henbit in the fall. Don't you want to at least be as good as Tru Green? Are you using a dry weed and feed? Spot spraying? Handcan? Can you afford a Lesco sprayer? Liquid weed control is better--but you don't mention which type you plan to use.
    You don't mention options like insect control--grubs for instance. How about fungus? Nutsedge? Summer annuals? Moles? Lime?
    If Tru Green does a better job and charges less--where does that leave you?
    Read through the forum--you will find a lot of ideas.

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Whoops! Sorry--I see grub control is included. I didn't mean to insult you. Sorry. Talk to several suppliers--they will suggest different programs suited to your area.

7. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Where is the fall broadleaf control?

8. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

good luck with your program

9. asjgabries

asjgabries LawnSite Member

I did it last year and it went ok. I would buy materials from another large fert company but I didnt do any spraying. I am getting certified this winter so I can do it all. Would you guys do a fert app earlier than the pre-emerg. I am not just doing fertilization. I am offering it to my 200 lawn mowing customers to start out.
    I can afford any type of sprayer I want but I was thinging of some sort of ride on so that I could spread and spray at the same time. I just dont want to put to much money out if I am not going to be doing much work.

10. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

It is impossible to help with your program until we know more about the products you are planning on using.

Timing is fine -- its what you apply during those times that will make the difference for you.