Cool Season grass...summer heat+h2O ....is possible to have a hyper green lawn with..

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Exact Rototilling, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Not much clay soils here. Mainly compact sandy poor soil stripped of decent soil when most developments are punched in.

The entire issue here is make my lawn green, yeah i mow too short my wife likes it shorter than.this. I water everyday. Why do I have.thatch...? :hammerhead:

My graphics artist says people want simple and very few details. Proper turf care requires more effort that people want to.put into.it. Easy button.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Likely because you do have compacted sandy soil. Not much reason for the roots to grow deep.

Aerate and top dress with compost. Aeration will help with both the compaction and thatch. It also will help promote some deeper roots particularly if you can get some compost in those holes.

This is not a one and done deal but likely a few seasons worth of effort.

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Along with building soil structure that allows water infiltration, percolation and drainage to improve...

4. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

I was stating how I build soil structure. How would you go about building soil structure without the methods I mentioned?

5. Smallaxe

I was agreeing with you and stating a couple of additional 'advantages' to doing what you had stated... I personally do the exact things that you mentioned,,, so I've seen these advantages materialize over time...

6. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I've been using dried poultry waste on my own lawn, dried livestock molasses, frequent aeration and limited use of synthetic based fertilizer. My own lawn had at least 3/4" of thatch to start with when I moved here in October of 2010. There has been a noticeable reduction of thatch and diminished fairy ring since I've been here.

What I'm getting at is the actual meat and potatoes of convincing a client that optimal results don't occur overnight. I'm trying to separate myself from the crowd in turf management.

Application clients want quick and easy. That is what most application companies offer.

What I'm getting at is how do you market this...? Vs the hey just call TG easy button.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Smallaxe

Keep it green with reduced ferts, as you increase nutrient cycling, thru the process of turning grass clippings into food... when you run into thatch problems that are actually stifling the lawn, you may have to aerate as often for them as you have for yourself, in order to get it under control...
    Eventually, the amount of synfert goes down dramatically...