1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cool Season Grasses here in Texas?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Earth Works, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Earth Works

Earth Works LawnSite Member

What would anyone consider using during the dormant season in Texas?(temporary lawn for the season, of course) Annual Ryegrass? Kentucky Bluegrass? Perennial Ryegrass? Anyone have experience in this field? Any knowledge is greatly appreciated.
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Perennial rye grass will do fine...but you are too late to plant this year. We put our last rye in at a hotel three weeks ago and got real lucky with the warm weather and it sprouted.
  3. southtx

southtx LawnSite Member

say earth works...where abouts you located at??
  4. lakeguy

lakeguy LawnSite Member

Didn't know anyone else is here in central Texas. I'm in Burnet Co.
    Had a question what are you getting for fert application and how do you bid it?

Peace to the lawnmen,

5. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

I seed about 75% of my lawns in Sept and Oct with annual Rye, helps keep me rolling 365, and helps attract new clients because they all wanna know how and why are those lawns green, and they are tan. Bascially the same thing TG does with that blue tracker dye, helps draw in a lot of homeowners because they think because they can see all the blue, that all their weeds are going to die on one shot....But with Rye grass, its almost like the lawn is glowing green. It takes a lot of seeds, and a really good aeration. Just dont short yourself or your customers on the seeds, because it will look bad and very thin if you dont have enough down.
  6. Earth Works

San Antonio, Texas NW Side
  7. Earth Works

Thanks so much for your knowledge.
    I have ben behind the mower for over 13 years working for someone else. This is my first year on my own. I am fairly new to Texas and was transplanted from Florida, so I am still getting used to the ugliness of the weather here.
  8. southtx

southtx LawnSite Member

I dont think I have seen many lawns with this kind of work done on them around san antonio but I do see alot of commercial go green all year round. So how was your first year here in SA??? I had a bad one with all the dry weather...I just hope it changes.
  9. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

New Braunfels here. You can still plant the rye grass. I just put down grass seed about 10 days ago and it is just now coming up. There are many ways to put it down. Last year I cut the bermuda down to 1 inch. Then I spread the seed and some starter fert. Water daily and keep the birds off the lawn. The best way I know to put the seed down is to spread the seed then cover the entire yard with a thin layer of compost.