Cool season turf operators for fert and squirt...? If you told your clients.........

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Exact Rototilling, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

....that if they didn't start mowing at 3.0" or higher or have their irrigation timers set to NO MORE than 3 times per week early am watering deep and heavy... better yet 2 times a week. THAT YOU'D DROP THEM AS CLIENTS.... would they walk....?

What percentage would you still have left....of your client base...?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I could recommend a mowing height but gut feeling is 1/3 would probably tell me to take a leap they want to continue to scalp. The others are better customers that would listen to me.

3. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Reality is different customers have different needs, I just try to do what they want. I enjoy the real nice yards, but I usually make more money on simple average yards.

4. The Turf Guys

The Turf Guys LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Probably 25% of better would leave or get dropped if I said that. I try to bring the horses to water but some just won't drink.

5. Exact Rototilling

Thanks for the input on this 1/3 to 1/4 exit rate is what I figured it would be roughly.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Exact Rototilling

Larry,

How are you doing better on average lawns/yards. What factors are dictating this...?

I reluctantly do some pruning with power tools but I'm really all about the grass.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Exact Rototilling

Been giving this more thought. I'm going to change the way I market for fert clients. Heavy angle on healthier grass and all the reasons why.

My area is epidemic with brutally poor lawn maintenance practices for cool season turf.

One would think this would not be the case since this region used to be a grass seed growing Mecca years back. Common logic would say some of that horse sense wisdom would of rubbed off. Still research going on here but the actual number of grass seed growers is way down.

Many of the former grass seed fields are now housing developments, tract housing etc.

8. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Most of my business in high end lake homes, they are extremely demanding and if I dont make them look good someone else will. I enjoy them, however I can service a "average" house in far less time for the same money and dont have to worry about 25 "beds". The last 2 years Ive been going after garden homes, with little success. I can service those in less than 40 minutes and generally get 40 to 50$. The plus with the nicer homes theres a lot more year round work, while the average home doesnt want to see you in the winter.

9. Exact Rototilling

Larry,

I get the drift. I do my best to avoid pruning & bed work. I only do that stuff for the ones willing to pay my power equipment rate...even then I get yancy if I'm on one property too long. :(

High end residential is iffy for me. Seems the higher the income the cheaper they want you to work.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Raymond S.

Raymond S. LawnSite Senior Member

I take the time to educate all my customers on watering times and mowing strategies but at the end of the day many of them still soak the piss out of the lawn 2x per day and scalp it...but the check clears. I would probably end up losing 1/2 of them if I made that stipulation.
    Posted via Mobile Device