1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Cool temps hindering germination?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by GWhunter, May 12, 2010.

1. GWhunter

GWhunter LawnSite Senior Member

Last week I had my lawn hydro seeded with 50% perenial rye,25%fecsue and 25% kbb. I've been watering twice a day when it hasn't rained. We've had several cold days with lows in the high 30's at night. So I'm not seeing any rye pop yet and I'm thinking the temps are the issue. Will the seed just lay dormant until the temps are better? I'm getting super impatient since this lawn is a long time coming with lots of setbacks(thanks hotshot).

Matt:dizzy:

2. GrassStitcher

GrassStitcher LawnSite Member

Cool temps will slow germination, I don't think they went dormant as much as they are just slow to progress, but don't worry once the soil temp warms they will pop. I would continue to keep moist, don't let it dry out.

3. ChiTownAmateur

ChiTownAmateur LawnSite Senior Member

I looked at the weather history for Maine, the furthest north in New England. The last few days did have very cold lows which could bring the soil temp down, but before that it appears highs were in the 60's and 70's, thus the soil should be germinating seeds even if a bit slow.

Rye grass should be coming up within 7-10 days, and although the cold lows the last few nights will slow things down it shouldn't be stopped completely.

Get down at the ground level and look very closely and see if you see any sprouts. If you dont' see them by Sunday, call your company on Monday and ask them to come out and take a look...the rye should be sprouting at least a little by then.

Don't panic, don't get upset, just deal with it and don't worry. At worst you'll have a 10 day delay in the process if they need to rework it . Most likely you are a day or two away from germination though so wait at least 3-4 more days first.

4. GWhunter

I had it sprayed last Wednesday later in the day. I watered the next am and then in the evening everyday except when it rained. We had lows of 38 at night for two nights straight and the last two days never got out of the mid 50's. I've been looking closely but see no activity. I'm sure it's just the cool temps.

Matt

5. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Slow germination has been the norm this year. Im in south eastern NY. With the exception of a few days..it's been REALLY cold for germination.

6. GWhunter

Guys thanks, your replies really put me a ease. I had expected the prg to pop in 5-7 days but had also expected seasonal temps to be here. I guess I'll just need to pray to the gods for the proper temps. Should I cut back on watering till it warms up?:confused:

Matt

7. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

If you really need to know whats up...check to see how deep the seed is...more than 1/4 inch and it could take seemingly forever in these temps..especially if you dont have strong sun hitting it. Fescue and Blue could take a month or more in those temps.

8. ChiTownAmateur

ChiTownAmateur LawnSite Senior Member

You should be watering just enough to keep it nicely moist...not soaked and muddy, not dry and crumbly. How that translates into how much you should water is completely dependent upon the weather.

If it's sunny all day and warm...you need more. If it's cool and cloudy, there is almost no evaporation. it's quite possible you could water just once a day or sprinkle it twice.

although it's very possible to put down too much water, the risk at this stage is too little. follow the instructions they gave you to a T.

9. GWhunter

So update time and a few questions if you guys don't mind. First the grass did germinate after about two weeks. I had wanted to plant in the fall but needed to get this done. It'll be three weeks tomorrow since the lawn was seeded. It looks good in some spots and thin in others. I'm watering daily and we've been having some record heat. Is it time to apply starter fert and over seed? I'm noticin that the area's that are in shade are much more thick and lush. I'm of course starting to see some weeds as is typical with new lawns this time of year. So can you guys point me in the right direction? I want to get this lawn as thick as possible and healthy before the summer heat really sets in.

Matt

10. bigslick7878

bigslick7878 LawnSite Senior Member

Little more seed won't hurt.

The areas in the shade are thick and lush because they are getting enough sun but the shade is holding the moisture better.