1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

cool & warm season seeds

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by STRINGALATION, Feb 26, 2006.

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

Will kentucky blue and perinneal rye remain green in the summer in full sun?
  2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

With adequate water, yes. Of course both need fertilizer as well to remain healthy, and in KY you have a good deal of humidity so fungal diseases may be a problem.
  3. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

that bluegrass will do fine for people that have irrigation here in kentucky an its a fine lawn but if no irrigation system is present then fescue would be my first choice . i install strictly fescue lawns due to fact they can handle the heat better ,wear an tear (kids, dogs,etc,)an to me its just alot nicer lawn in general ! hope this helps thanks george
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Kentucky Blue is ok in full sun with adequate rain...it is not drought tolerant though.
  5. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Kentucky Blue is the grass of choice around these parts.With the proper cultural practices, and enough rain, and irrigation during times of drought it will do well in full sun.