Cool weather and slow green up

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by grassmasterswilson, May 7, 2013.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Here in North Carolina we've had a pretty cool and wet spring. It's may and I'm still in pants. Bermuda is pretty slow to green up and even some lawns I fertilized a week-10 days ago are showing little sign of perking up.

I went with a 1 lb N of 50% xrt this year in hopes of getting a longer release. We will do a second app of the same in 8 weeks or so.

I'm curious if some of you others are seeing a slow green up and what if anything you plan to do different next year?

I was considering an early app of a quicker release N in hopes if would green up faster(and get me mowing guys going!). Ammonium sulfate? I could then follow it up with a slower release xrt.

2. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Yes, cooler than normal & rainfall maybe a little above normal. Slow coming out of dormancy, more weed pressure & brown patch. I'm not really big on greening up with fert as it worries me about diseases when temps are not right for grass to use the N.

3. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Yeah art this weather has messed us up. You'd think with "global warming" that temps would have gone the other way. Hoping its just a fluke.

I found it odd that I put 25% sr n on my celebration Bermuda weeks ago and it is fully green. It needs cutting on a regular basis. All the other ones go the xrt 12-13 days ago and they are still showing a lot of brown.

The weather did cool off some and I may have hit my lawn at the perfect time. 80's are in the forecast so hopefully the fertilizer is just waiting for the turf to decide it wants some!

4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

The weather will be what it will be. Adjust every year accordingly, don't fight nature.
    You can try and fit a square peg in a round hole but it gets old fast.

5. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't worry, I just looked at our local forecast and it's supposed to be 90 next week, Thursday and Friday. The Bermuda will certainly take off then :)