Cool weather weed control (Cool Power???)

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by FERT-TEK, Oct 19, 2005.

1. FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

I am looking for recommendations on a good cool weather weed control producct for the midwest. Temps here have been in the 60's and 70's during the day and upper 40's lower 50's at night. I have been told that I should look at Cool Power by Riverdale / Nufarm. What other products should I look at? A friend of mine may have found me a couple of comercial jobs that have been overrun by weeds. I have not been out to the property so I do not know how bad it is. But he said that the property needs a lot of work on its lawn starting with the weeds.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Almost forgot this chem will be run through my Perma Green.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Regular 3 way will do a number on these at this time of year. Miz it fukll strength and say goodbye to them. This is a great time to kill tough ones like wild violet and ground ivy, too.

3. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I use Three-Way all fall. I will continue to use it into early November. I use the mid-rate and have had excellent success the past 15 years. I think the new products will also be effective during cool weather.

4. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

Cool Power is a Ester formulation using the 3way concept. Alcohol base will perform perfect in the cooler temps.

5. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

you will not be disappointed. It will get some of the weeds that the amine 3 ways will not. Been using if in late fall/early spring for 10 years. Great stuff.

6. FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

I couldn't find info on how rainfast it is. Do you know? Any downside to this product?

7. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

use a spreader sticker and it is good asap. I know I am not to suppose to say that but I have had pop up showers before I got a property done and it worked fine. It is basically the same rainfast as any other product.

The only downside is that it is like all ester formulas that you have to watch your day temps when appling. I think 80 or so. It will tell you on the label.
    If it was not for that I would use it season long. I really like the wide range of weeds including the hard to kill ground ivy, wild violets, etc.

8. bluemoon7

bluemoon7 LawnSite Member

We use Speed Zone or Surge.. both work great..I have used Cool Power and that works great too. In warmer temps we use Trimec 992, but when daytime temps fall below 60 degrees, it's time to switch... these above chemicals also work on violets, and ground ivy where 992, or Triplet will not.

9. bluemoon7

bluemoon7 LawnSite Member

Speed Zone is also rainfast in 3 hours....

10. BigCity

BigCity LawnSite Member

I like the 3 way ester products. The psuedo ester products of Speed Zone and Momentum FX are good in cool weather also. I worry a little about 3 way amine working so slow late in the year.