1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Coping around a vinyl liner pool.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by jbailey52, Jan 30, 2012.

1. crazymike

crazymike LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I would go to a garden supplier and buy a few different types and try them for looks.

2. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

DVS... what is the technique/specifications for mortaring down the coping.. I never could quite wrap my head around how that holds... Also how do you account for the mortar raising the coping, which then changes the elevation for the pavers that need to be on the fixed concrete pool deck, beddding sand?

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Yew gotta clean dat concrete up real gud with a cleaner made for prepping concrete for masonry applications. I furgit wud its culled. Has the word "etch" N it.

We then will have between 3/4" to no more than 1.5" of bedding sand over the existing concrete. The depth of the bedding sand is contigent to the thickness of the coping.

4. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Try to match your pavers thickness to the coping, ideally this would be mortared on. If you use sand its fine but the outside edge will have to be mortarted to hold it all in place.

5. jonesy5149

jonesy5149 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

Can you take a pic of the coping? How old is this liner? How old is the pool.

6. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

I guess there are extensions for the skimmer clean-outs?

7. DVS Hardscaper

Yes there are. Along with a choice of beige or grey covers.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. LVHardscape

LVHardscape LawnSite Member

I recently lost a paver job around a pool because the other person I was bidding against said it was absolutely no problem to remove the decking around a vinyl pool.

:clapping::clapping: i hope he got the job! hahaha.

9. DVS Hardscaper

Haha!!! Thats funny!

But it really is "no problem" removing the concrete! That's easy! I just hope the owner doesn't mind when the liner slides to the bottom :drinkup::cool2:

If that job was near you, you should try to keep an eye on the progress. If the owner is not yanking your chain and is serious about moving forward - that contractor is going to find himself in some serious trouble! :laugh:

Seriously, try to keep us posted!

10. LVHardscape

LVHardscape LawnSite Member

Job is fairly close, I will certainly keep you posted.

The worst part is the husband got all cocky with me and told me I didn't know what I was talking about, this was even after referencing him to a few pool builders websites regarding this issue.

I am more anxious to know what contractor is doing the work.