Coping on an F'd up steel wall pool

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by paponte, Oct 16, 2007.

1. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Figured I would pick some other brains since mine is starting to hurt. The situation... Steel wall pool, who ever installed it should be shot. Walls are definitely not the most level or straight I have seen. We have to install bullnose around the pool, that will sit on our poured footing and on the steel wall. I originally called for 6x12 coping due to this fact putting majority of the coping on the footing. Customer now wants 4x8, which will put me half on half off now. I think I'm just being over cautious but I'm not too comfortable with the 1/2 sitting on the wall. I really can't glue it cause I'm not going to get the play that I need out of it due to the cr@ppy walls. I thought about putting mesh ontop overlaying it on the footing and tapping it into the walls. That would really only hold it one way though. I then figured I would milk the top of the footing, drill some 1/2" holes in the steel wall and do a rich mix on my mortar to make sure it holds and press it into the holes when were laying.

Anyone else have any suggestions? I really don't want these things popping on me down the road.

2. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

If you are doubting the 4x8 bullnose, tell the customer. Tell them you will only do the job with 6x12s.

Or get some metal mesh and screw it to the lip of the pool. When you mortar your stones on put your mud on the concrete footing and the metal mesh. ( I am not sure this will actually work. Its just a idea.)

Personally i'd just go with 6x12.

3. paponte

That was my immediate though to just throw lathe on it. Putting the angled side inwards towards the pool. After thinking about it either way I go, cement is not sticking to metal and lathe is really only meant to grab in one direction. Just like you say I'm not sure it will work either. Thats when I came up the the 1/2" hole idea about every foot or so. Same concept of pvc pipes filled for support when pouring decking around a pool.

4. mrusk

IS 6X12 really so far out of the question?

5. paponte

The furthest side of the pool is only going to have a 3 1/2' walk around. the client does not feel there will be enough of field area with the larger coping.

6. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Paul - You're talking about 4"! The customer must realize that for the project to be warrantied you must use the 6x12 bullnose due to the poor craftmanship by the pool company. The customer can't be THAT hardnosed. The lathe is a good idea, but as you said it will only hold in one direction. 6x12 a must! IMO

Chris

7. paponte

Yeah I hear you guys, just trying to make something work instead of taking the easy way out. Sometimes I drive myself nuts. I'm a little screwed in the head with the "don't tell me something can't be done" attitude. I always try to find a way. Maybe I'm just thick headed.
    Thanks for the input guys, just wanted to see if anyone else had came across a similar situation and had a solution I would feel more comfortable with. :hammerhead:

8. mrusk

Go with a 6x6 boarder course instead of a 6x9.

9. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

liability? warranty?