1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

copper moon twisted rope path

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by David Gretzmier, May 8, 2009.

1. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I have never seen this fixture until today, pretty cool and was wondering if any folks have used this fixture and long term durability. I have a spot I could use 2 of these, but I'd like to get imput before I sell them to the customer. James, Copper moon has you listed as an installer for them, have you used this model of path?

2. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

David. The CM700 / CM750 are not my cup of tea, and this is as much a personal style thing as much as it is a construction / design consideration.

I think the transition between the 'twisted rope' area and the smooth stem is a bit to contrived and obvious. As I recall the twisted rope does not extend all the way down to the stem, but is only a section of stem in the middle. Also, the fit and finish of these fixtures leaves a bit to be desired IMO. They make use of what some call 'plumbing parts'.

The fixture functions fine, it is just the style / details that I am not too fond of.

Regards.

3. David Gretzmier

Thanks for the reply. I normally do not like fixtures that bring attention to themselves, especially paths. But I have an artsy lead, and they want paths in beds beside the entry way , have no plants other than annuals in those beds. so a light with some sculpture to it, but still a smooth top intrigued me. I think most of copper moon's stuff is raw copper, so I'm thinking it will start to age to that old penny look after a month or so anyway.

Any one else seen this fixture up close?

4. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a sample of the fixture here. I have never installed it. I preffer to stick to the elite line if I use Dougs pathlights.

It is really a design and clients choice if the twisted rope is used. If thats the look the client likes then its fine. I know doug has 3 different finishes he can apply for you to pre patina the fixtures including an antique rust and verde finish.

The twist part looks like copper tubing wrapped around the smooth copper stem to me. After nearly 2 years of dealing with coppermoon and Doug I can tell you this. If you ever had a problem with the fixture Doug would make it right. We just installed 20 of his fixtures yesterday

5. David Gretzmier

I'll be meeting with a copper moon rep next week and she sent me a box of sample fixtures. The twisted rope was not among them, which is odd because it truly does look different for a path. Usually when you go with art stuff on a path, it is the top- stars, leaves, stained glass, etc. For some reason the handmade looking stem and plain top appealed to me for this one particular client and situation.

I also like the brass wall washer they sent. very heavy, although not sealed at the wire exit.

Their heavy brass mr-16 unit has a different type of glass as well, like a graphic black tint, maybe for glare, but I am not sure. I may fire it up and compare with my brass bullet and see.

6. Pro-Scapes

Im not sure how I ended up with the twisted rope fixture. I think it was given to me by Doug on a trip to destin when we went fishing 2 yrs ago. I know I have about 10 of his pathlights in my shop.

David you just brought up 2 of my go to fixtures (dont worry joey I still use alot of unique)

TRUE. Dougs brass is not sealed at the wire entry and he is working on this now if I am informed right. I squeeze a good shot of sealant in the back end and never have a problem.

On the silk screening you mention on the cm125 and cm135 brass bullets. It does help soften the lines of the lamps somewhat. It can also in a way help with a bit of glare but if glare is even a remote concearn I either louver it or look to a different fixture. I think I have been installing the coppermoon brass stuff for about 18 mo now and have 1 issue to date and that was a tractor vs lighting fixture scenario I didnt even try to get warrantied.

The wash light you mentioned is indeed a beefy unit and has served us well. I do wish the shroud was a bit taller on it but when used in the right application it has been a great performer for us. I do still use more than a couple of stellars when I need a low profile wash light too.

I really feel these are 2 of the strongest fixtures in Dougs line up. For anyone unfamiliar with them I suggest you give em a try.

7. S&MLL

S&MLL LawnSite Senior Member

Dave have a twisted in a clients landscape for about a year. Will be going for a service call soon and take a picture for you. Coppermoon is a very VERY good company to work with. Doug/Wade ...... stand up guys

8. Pro-Scapes

I never delt with Wade but I can agree wholeheartedly about Doug. Keep an eye out for new products soon from them. They are evolving the line.

9. S&MLL

S&MLL LawnSite Senior Member

I know I cant wait. Have you tried the new transformer they are selling?

10. Pro-Scapes

Yes. I installed one friday. Its made by Jefferson electric. All worked well altho the voltage fell off about the same as MDL units when under load. There is more wiring room than the MDL units which was nice as well.

They come with a stainless bracket you hang on the wall then you hang the trans on that which made for quick easy installation.

There are a few personal prefferences I didnt care for on it but all in all I did like it better than the MDL units but not nearly as much as I like the Gambino units. With the Gambinos and the way they hold the voltage it enables me to run further with more load than I am able to with a trans that bogs down.

Bottom line is I like them better than the MDL units and Doug informed me Jefferson is looking into some concearns that contractors has and they are hungry and willing to make changes. Sounds like it will be a good fit with Coppermoon.