copper pinch tool or maybe some help?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by woodlawnservice, Sep 7, 2013.

1. woodlawnservice

woodlawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Do they have a tool to temporarily pinch soft copper closed to make repairs on a live line then be able to unpinch it? We are doing more and more installs and this is a problem on older homes where the corpstops can't be accessed or are stuck open and we need to add in a irrigation meter ...thanks

2. S.O.Contracting

S.O.Contracting LawnSite Member

3. zman9119

zman9119 LawnSite Senior Member

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Are you stating that there are no curb stops whatsoever? That doesn't make sense. The Call-Before-You-Dig services always get us a complete water markup, including the curb stop.

5. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I would Repair the shut off ... no access then get access....it is in the interest of the home owner to be able to shut water off to his home in the event of a catastrophe or plumbing failure. I have never been unable to convince them of this nessassary repair, in my opinion this repair is of higher priority than installing a irragation meter. Their is liability hear...

6. woodlawnservice

woodlawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I agree but the supply has to be shut down to repair the shutoff as well...

7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Even though i agree with you, the op is asking a specific question.

Try Pollard Water. They have pert near anything for waterworks. Yes they carry pinch tools and freeze tools.

8. zman9119

zman9119 LawnSite Senior Member

If it is the corpstop, wouldn't that be the responsibility of the water purveyor \ department to repair versus you as the contractor?

At least here its illegal to make modifications \ repair \ replace or do anything with a corpstop or before since it is part of the water supply system and not legally part of the H\O property.

9. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

This is true where I am everything up to and including the meter

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

We still aren't hearing specifically about the curb stop. Is there one, yes or no?

Terminology note - corp stop (corporation stop) is what is directly threaded into the water main at the time a tap is made - ours are usually beneath street pavement, and even the water departments touch them only as a last resort - the shutoff that is accessible is a curb stop, and like it says, located inside the curb and accessible for operation, and I never have heard of a water department that won't make time to be sure a working curb stop is present for every one of their customers.