Copper thefts

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by irrig8r, Jan 23, 2008.

1. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_8053987

San Jose, Santa Clara police make dozens of copper theft arrests

By Mark Gomez
    Mercury News
    Article Launched: 01/23/2008 08:34:41 AM PST

San Jose and Santa Clara police served more than 140 arrest warrants Tuesday, the result of a yearlong, undercover operation that investigated a rash of copper thefts in the South Bay.

The San Jose and Santa Clara police departments will hold a news conference this morning to discuss details about the investigation. Tuesday, more than 150 officers from both agencies served over 140 arrest warrants, and seized several items of evidence, including weapons.

In September, Pacific Gas & Electric officials estimated that thieves would make off with $1 million worth of the company's copper wire in California during the year. At that time, thieves had reportedly stolen $876,481 in central and Northern California from PG&E yards, trucks and even by taking wire from power poles, according to a PG&E spokesman.

Please check back for more details on this story.

2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

well its a problem on this side of the country too

3. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

insane. Glad im out in the country and got dogs to protect my wire stash. I am sitting on a few hundred pounds of scrap still

4. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Billy,
    Aren't you going to take it to a recyling facility? Or are you waiting for the copper prices to go up more before taking it in. I did pretty good with my last stash I turned in.

5. Pro-Scapes

will prolly wait til i buy one of tommys gadgets to strip it all. I had a car audio guy buy the last bunch but I dunno what to do with this bunch.

Whats copper up to now ?

6. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Man, I don't know what it is running now, but it isn't cheap. My last small box I turned in was probably 40 lbs of unstripped. I walked out of their with almost 40 bucks.

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

My technician got about $500 in December for turning in our copper and backflow preventers that we repaired or replaced this year.

Lots of copper thefts here as well. People getting arrested and even dying by stealing copper wires between street lights. Idiots.

8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

My last trip in was just a milkcrate , $60

9. Pro-Scapes

looks like i need to make a trip then. Got a 55 gallon drum full of scrap... was thinking about stripping it first

10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Buddy of mines a heating contractor. His last drop was after a tear out on public housing, $8k