1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cordless Chainsaws?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by Bobbo22, Mar 17, 2014.

Would you consider purchasing a cordless chainsaw?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
  2. No

30 vote(s)
  1. Bobbo22

Bobbo22 LawnSite Member

I'm looking at getting a new chainsaw... have any of you used any cordless battery powered ones?

Aside from the consumer brands (Ryobi) I see Stihl has one out but it is pretty pricey... Oregon, Greenworks, and Makita also seem to have one.

I would be using it for primarily residentual work, fallen/dead branch cleanup, tree pruning, etc.

Any advice?
  2. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

If going electric, then go with a corded one...WAY more power. Otherwise, get gas powered and spend the money on a good brand. I like Dolmar.
  3. Porcupine Lawn and Snow

Porcupine Lawn and Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Why electric?
  4. Cody S

Cody S LawnSite Senior Member

Just spend the money and get a gas model. Stihl is top choice for a lot. You could also get an Echo or Red Max for a decent price. Dolmar's great as well. As much as people want to push it, there is just no comparison in our industry. The last thing you want is a dead battery and no where to charge it.
  5. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been thinking of getting one to use for cutting small stuff into firewood. Currently using an electric pole saw w/o the pole. Works great for stuff under 3 inches but the cord is a pain.
  6. hmlawn

hmlawn LawnSite Member

The electric saws have their place. Corded is definitely the way to go, for just occasional use I can definitely see why you would choose an electric over gas. Plus, they're safer (IMO).
  7. MRCo.

MRCo. LawnSite Member

The best of the bunch is the Oregon...for now. I demo'd a Core prototype 20" battery saw at GIE and it was serious! The Stihl is more money and doesn't get as good a review as the Oregon. They have a place for homeowners to nip and trim, pro guys keep on gassing up!
  8. Tree2Tree

Tree2Tree LawnSite Member

Oregon for sure, they have there place we looked at one at landscape congress to avoid the bylaws limiting tool use and for trimming trees inside buildings / courtyards in retirement homes.
  9. Four_Seasons

Four_Seasons LawnSite Member

Don't get electric. Go for Stihl. (Even if you do go electric) There's a reason professional loggers use it on a daily basis. If your just doing a little chainsaw work the MS290 Farmboss is a great starter. Works for 95% of residential stuff. I just can't get it out of my mind of being tangled up in a cord while wielding a chainsaw. I always move branches out from under me before continuing for safety reasons.
  10. We used a corded one once, and the thing surprised me how much power it had, thought about getting one just haven't did it it definitely has it's place.