Cordless Chainsaws?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by Bobbo22, Mar 17, 2014.

Would you consider purchasing a cordless chainsaw?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
  2. No

30 vote(s)
  1. Bobbo22

Bobbo22 LawnSite Member

A 20" cordless unit?! Most I have seen are 14" or 16". I really think 14" would satisfy my needs. 20" sounds like they are "over promising" on a cordless unit to me.

I've looked at this one a bit more since my last post. It seems like it's got good reviews, and the brushless motor gets it more runtime.

I am a bit hesitant about the brand though...
  2. 2 Cycle

2 Cycle LawnSite Senior Member

I have the cordless black and decker alligator along with my gas unit. It is great for smaller stuff, makes no noise either. Better than nothing and has its uses
  3. baileylawnservice

baileylawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Cordless of corse. Why waste your time with anything less then a gas chain saw or any other equipment for that matter
  4. capetrees

capetrees LawnSite Member
    from ma

NO NO NO to cordless or electric saws. The one you posted a link to, $250??? Rip off. The only advantage to an electric over gas is noise. All other things considered, gas wins. Better longevity, more torque, can use it in the rain and snow, isn't limited by battery life or cord length (I assume you already have gas with you if you're mowing?) and with a brand name, most likely locally sold and serviced, replacement parts are a breeze if needed. I highly reccomend the Stihl 017, comes with a 16" bar ( I reccomend dropping it to a 12") and costs $180 from your local Stihl dealer or online. I run mine every day and it never quits. It's small, light wieight and powerful. The one trick to chainsaws is to keep the chain sharp. The biggest saw around will do you no good if the chain is dull. Replacement chains for the 12" bar (I changed mine) is around $14 and they can be resharpened many times. Go gas, you'll have it for a very long time.
  5. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

Not necessarily. I don't have a cordless chain saw to compare, but here's something for consideration. My Milwaukee Fuel 18V cordless drill has significantly more power than my corded DeWalt 6.7A drill (both are commercial 1/2" chuck drills). The power is a available with new battery technology, but it is expensive.

I would assume that the 36V Stihl chainsaws are more powerful than their corded counterparts, or at least the same power. I wouldn't necessarily make the assumption from an 18V tool. But the cost is astronomical when you add in the batteries and quick charger, etc.

If you were using this every day, AND also using a hedge clipper and possibly string trimmer that used the same batteries, then maybe it makes sense in a neighborhood with a high noise sensitivity. But in general (except for the hedge clipper that doesn't really need much power to run), you will be working faster with a gas tool that has more power to work with.

It's a small niche market still.
  6. Kenb2920

Kenb2920 LawnSite Member

my chainsaw is cordless and works great. I just have to add fuel. :) jk. I have no experience with battery operated saws but I would not consider one. I see any battery operated saw drains the juice fast. This is in regards to my 18 volt dewalt circular, reciprocating and grinder. I cant imagine how fast a chainsaw would drain even the best of batteries.
  7. crusty_crab80

crusty_crab80 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alaska

Friend owns the battery operated Oregon. Its good but id go corded stihl.

More power
    No smelly emissions
    Smaller vibrations
    No air filter, carb, misc problems. Lighter

I love my stihl e15!
  8. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a $200 poulan pro with 50cc and a 20" chain. It's half the price of a comparable stihl or husky and still starts on the first or second pull after a couple years in the trailer. Plenty of power to hack up any fallen tree and if it breaks one day I'll toss it and buy a new one. I have no need for a commercial saw bc all i ever use it for is occasional tree work, brush, and pruning
  9. PenningsLandscaping

PenningsLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Ugh electric is such a pain in the @ss. I don't know why you would want one.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. XYZLawnPros

XYZLawnPros LawnSite Senior Member