cordless drill ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MUDFLAP, Apr 4, 2010.

1. MUDFLAP

MUDFLAP LawnSite Member

Time to buy a new one , the batteries for my old DeWalt wont hold a charge any more, and new ones cost almost as much as a new drill. Anybody have an opinion on which brand is best, for 2010 popular mechanics has the new lith-ion units ranked based on torque, and battery life

1-craftsman professional line
    2-makita
    3-hilti
    4-milwaukee
    5-dewalt
    6-porter cable
    7-bosch
    8-hitachi
    9-ryobi
    10- b&d firestorm

thought i would check and see if any of you guys have any real world experience with any of these.

2. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

I havent used the hilti. I have used all of the others at one time or another. I would stay away from the ryobi or b&d. I personally like the dewalts. The craftsman is cheaper and those were pretty good. I know that a lot of electricians have switched to the milwaukees instead of dewalt because they say the batteries dont last as long in the dewalt. I think you are buying a nice drill no matter what but you already have dewalt. If you buy a new drill you are getting two new batteries plus you can use your old drill too. thats what I would do or buy the new batteries on ebay. They are cheaper.

3. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

I havent used all those with the lithium batteries though.

4. igotdiesel2

igotdiesel2 LawnSite Member

Look at RIDGID at HD They have a lifetime warranty even on the batteries. I have the Ryobi lit ion and I love them. I have never had a problem with any of their tools. I have almost every tool they make for the plus one line. -Jason

5. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

WTF does this have to do with lawn mowing????

6. Milwaukee

Milwaukee LawnSite Member

It for landscape and sprinkler.

I used to have Milwaukee V28 with all cordless kit that was over $900 few years ago. Battery last forever if you compare to Makita 14.4 volt.

Still use Makita that I bought 6 years ago. Plan upgrade but not this year due economy.

Why batteries go bad
    HEAT
    not charge fully and let drain to empty.
    Not use much.

My Dad have Makita cordless drill that was 20 years old. Let say Nicad is start loss charge if you don't keep charge every week. It no fun when they are complete dead it got me couple times to try bring alive.

7. morgaj1

morgaj1 LawnSite Senior Member

You can't go wrong with Porter Cable or Milwaukee.

8. streetscrapin16

streetscrapin16 LawnSite Senior Member

I use Makita drills. They seem to work the best. They are pretty reasonably prices too.

9. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Dewalt......

10. r.eckley

r.eckley LawnSite Member

If your drill is good try VOLTMANBATTERIES.COM rebilt batts. beter than new.