1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Cordless Impact Drill

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by POWER STROKE, Jul 21, 2012.

1. POWER STROKE

POWER STROKE LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking to buy a Cordless Impact Drill I was wondering if any one could recommend a good one? Harbor Freight has one on sale right now 18 Volt Cordless 1/4" hex Impact Driver reg $60.00 on sale for $50.00 plus I have a 10% discount coupon. Has any one every use their drills and are they worth the money. Thanks in advance for any help or input.

-POWER

2. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Try Lowes, or HD. Please don't waste your money at HF, you will remember this reply if you do.
    easy-lift guy

3. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

Didn't you make a post like this awhile back?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. tailboardtech

tailboardtech LawnSite Senior Member

Harbor freight is junk get a dewalt granger usaly has a good deal on just the impact w/ no battery's if you already have 18v battery's
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Makita....

6. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

If your looking to change blades you will not do it with a 1/4 inch. Need 1/2" I have dewalt and love it but thebig names are all good.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. scotts lawn care

scotts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah you will need a 1/2" impact for sure.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. morgaj1

morgaj1 LawnSite Senior Member

If you are looking for an impact wrench to change blades, tires, etc., I would recommend a 1/2". The 1/4" wrenches are not substantial enough and don't generate enough torque. Also, I have learned the hard way, that buying cheap tools costs more in the long run. In my experience, I have bought the cheap tool first. Then, when it breaks, I end up buying a quality tool. So, I would have been better off financially to buy the quality tool up front. That being said, this is what I use and recommend:

http://www.cpomilwaukee.com/factory...kee-reconditioned-impact-drivers-and-wrenches

I bought the refurbished one from CPO and couldn't tell it from new, plus saved a good bit of $$$ over new. I have had mine for over a year and have used it a ton. It still works as good as new. I bought an extra battery, so that I am never without power for it.

My advice is to stick with Milwaukee, Makita, Dewalt, Porter Cable or Ridgid. These are all proven brands with great track records. They are typically 2-3 times as expensive as the Harbor Freight tools, but well worth it.

9. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I have a Milwaukee but it is a 1/4" 18V and does remove the blades just fine.

10. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member