Cordless impact wrench to change blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Albemarle Lawn, May 26, 2003.

1. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm thinking about buying an 18Volt Miwaukee cordless impact wrech to change blades in the field so I don't have to unload at the shop.

Does anyone else do this, are they strong enough?
  2. jocko1104

jocko1104 LawnSite Member

I would like to know as well because as of yet I have been unable to find anyhting to get those suckers off.

I have seen some guys with portable air tanks on their rigs...
  3. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

i use a 1/2 air great just be careful when socking the blades back a IR gun not some cheapo home depot special.electric guns do work well 18 volt i don't think is going to be enough.i think mine was 24 or 30 volts.very large gun with metal gears.was about 30 lbs and my air gun was maybe 10 or 12 lbs.

my friend who i use to work with at the car dealership has one of those on little stuff not some big 1/2 to 1 inch bolt.which is whats on most mowers
  4. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 18 volt cordless impact from snap-on that works great in the field, it wasn't cheap but it has saved me from running back to the shop more than once. The snap-on impact even has a quick charger (45 minutes to fully charge) that plugs into my cigarette lighter. I have removed blades and rims with this impact.
  5. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I bought an el cheapo wrench the other day. Its 12v and connects to the mower battery.(There is a 12v output plug installed on the mower) It seemed to work ok but I dont really expect it to last. 12v is what most of the batteries (car,mowers etc)are over here!
  6. dobehap

dobehap LawnSite Senior Member

Milwaukee 18 volt will do just fine.
    I believe its rated at 240 ft lb.

I have a chorded 1/2 wrench rated at 240 ft lb, and its more than enough.

BTW that is currently the strongest chordless impact out there today (I could be wrong)
  7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i use 12 volt impacts to change all my blades. the current one is about a yr. old
  8. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought the Snap-on CT3850. Its industrial quality, and very strong.
    I use it in the shop since I dont have an air compressor.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have the Makita 6911HD. It's a 12v, and is worth every penny.
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I've been using the same one all year. Thing is sweet and you don't have to worry about sliting your wrists. One of the best investmenst you can make...believe me.