core aerating and overseeding

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Unique, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Unique

Unique LawnSite Member

2. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I disagree with that. When are you ever going to irrigate enough to float the seed in a 2" hole? Somebody is over-thinking it. I believe it is a good method to acheive seed to soil contact. So do some experts:
  3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I agree 100% Turfscape:walking:
  4. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Overseeding and aeration, go togeather like a hand and glove.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sorry. I tend to disagree. With aeration, the new seed is spread spiradic at best. The holes put the seed too deep for entiful germination rates - es[ecially when combined with an already established turfgrass. More seed is wasted the used. Plus, the seed ends up clumped together in a 3/4" hole. How much seed grows efficiently (is needed) for a 3/4" area? I've done it many of times over for years, and I believe it is mostly a hype. It can't even COMPARE to drilling it in for overseeding.
  6. korelandscaping

korelandscaping LawnSite Member
    from ct

It all depends upon the turf you are working with. If the turf is sparse and needs to be "thickened" up, I would aerate and over seed. If the turf has bare spots and is in need of desperate help I would do both...aerate and slice-seed. Aeration alone is a benefit to most turfs anyway. I will agree that seed is often wasted with aerating and over seeding. I have found over the years of doing renovations that the first seed to pop is always the aerated holes. Then usually a few days after comes the seed that is sliced in. Once again, it all comes down to the turf your working on.
  7. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Unique / Joe I could not find the page you spoke of in the Billy Goat web site. But, I can tell you this. Aeration prior to overseeding works well and is a great benefit. If you just aerate and spread seed you may end up with just growth in the holes and a polka dot lawn. I have pics of this. You really need to open up the thatch layer with a verticut or slit seeder along with the aeration to get the best results. I have been at this for over 31 years and have extensive experience with this. Billy goat has been at it about 5 years . Go figure.
    Runner / Joe about 15 years ago at Ryan we did extensive testing to deternine the results of seeding after aeration and specifically the results of the seed that gets into the holes. The holes regardless of how deep make an excellent place for seed to start. It is actually better than on or very near the surface. the seeds in a deep hole 2 inches plus actually are growing stronger when they do emerge than seeds that get direct hot sunlight as soon as they hatch. So Joe you can rethink what you are saying in this regard.
  8. David W

David W LawnSite Senior Member

So what do you do to eliminate the polka dot lawn? I am fixing to aerate and dethatch, then overseed. New yard that was sodded last year.
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The part about them being stronger when they do emerge makes sense. They have a deeper rooting because they started deeper. However, tha doesn't give it a higher germination rate. I've been doing this well over 20 years, myself, and I can tell you that out of tons of seed, and acres covered, I've done ALOT of both much of it overseeding on existing soil. Seed needs two things to germinate. Moisture and light. Lack of moisture means lack of germination. Lack of light means lack of germination. There is less light at the bottom of a 2 inch hole - especially after the seed gets partially buried under there, and definitely especially if it is done in overseeding where there is turf on top of it as well. Furthermore, when the seed rinses down into the holes, it IS redundant, as only so many plants can grow in a 5/8 or 3/4 inch area. The growth ends up spotty and there is no doubt that it then takes longer to fill out completely and evenly. As far as the tests go, I'd love to see some numbers on that. All I am going by is what I have seen from my procedures done in both methods and what I have seen others do using these same methods. I'm not saying that aeration and overseeding doesn't work, I'm just saying it doesn't give us favorable results.
  10. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I agree Bill. The only thing it's going to do is HELP!!!:)