Core-Aerating, Overseeding, Mowing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nso1000k, Apr 13, 2001.

1. nso1000k

nso1000k LawnSite Member

I read a few other posts, but I am needing to know something a little different than what the others have told me. I am supposed to cut a neighbor's yard before Easter. I core-aerated their yard 1 week ago. The customer overseeded his yard the same day. We have only had one 10 min. shower and I am afraid the seeds will be destroyed if I mow this early. I don't mind mowing his yard, but I don't want him to waste his money. How long should I wait and how much rain is needed before I can mow the lawn? The customer left it up to me to mow as soon as possible.
    I would appreciate your help on this.
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

A lot of that seed went down in core holes or got covered by cores getting broken up by rain or walking on the lawn. You should be able to mow it any time and not hurt it if you had a decent stand of established turf. Be careful turning on this until the seedlings have grown a couple months and got their roots established. If you have bigger bare areas where you seeded, avoid them and just use a string trimmer to shorten long grass if there is any. When and if I have to go over a small seeded area, I will slow down the rpm's and go slow so I don't blow the seed away.
    I hope this helps.
  3. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

I agree with Eric but I dont agree with "we only had one 10 minute shower",your neighbor should be watering the lawn at least 2 times a day.
  4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

if you are in geogia id tell the neighbor not to be to disappointed if his new doesnt make it thru july.
    existing turf will help but recommend fall overseeding
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The seed manufacturers recommend at least 3 weeks. I always tell people to wait this long. I also don't cut any customers I've done seeding for until 3 weeks.

If you do cut this, don't bag and you would be much better off if you can mulch it. I would tell the person up front chances are real good that much of the seed will be lost.
  6. nso1000k

nso1000k LawnSite Member

I appreciate all the input. Watering really isn't an option except for what the Good Lord gives them because their property is over 60,000 sf without an irrigation system. The bad news is it can't be cut before Easter the good news is it's going to rain a good bit Sunday into Monday morning. Oh yeah, don't want you guys to think I overseed fescue this late into spring. Maybe I can overseed it in the fall for them.