CORE AERATION AND SEEDING

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ant, Aug 26, 2000.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

FOR THOSE WHO CORE AERATE AND SEED
    1 HOW MANY POUNDS PER /M (1000 SF)
    2 WHATS THE PROCESS.
    3 PRICE PER M
    ANTHONY

2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

1. For an established lawn 4-pounds per 1000 sf. For a renovation 6-8 pounds per 1000 but I do not aerate renovations.

2. If dry have customer water the day before and day of if possible. Soil test, mow, aerate, seed, fert, and instruct customer on water, water, water, water, lightly 3 times a day if possible.

3. $24

3. ant

thanks kirby.
    by reading your post and replys seems like it helping a lot of the forum members.
    anthony.

[Edited by anthonygrelli on 08-27-2000 at 11:44 AM]

4. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

Would it not matter what type of grass????

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I do exactly what Ray siad,but if I can,i drag back in the plugs and seed,this makes the lawn a lot cleaner and increases germination percentage and you get grass faster this way.This is not practical on all lawns,but at the golf course and on my own lawn or any other open areas this is the ideal way to finish the job,along with a shot of starter fertilizer.

6. KirbysLawn

Good point, that's my routine for cool season grasses, mainly tall fescue.

7. ant

kirby:what blend or mix

8. KirbysLawn

Here in NC I use the Lesco Transition blend Tall Fescue, in NJ I'm not sure what would be the best. Maybe someone else from the NJ area will post or check with Lesco if around. John D., your in NY, what do you use?

9. KirbysLawn

Richard, what relevance does Home Depot and the size of the NC stores have to the content of the post?

10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

What I use depends on whos lawn im on,one guy has a beatiful bluegrass lawn,which as you know required thatching more.that one gets bluegrass,owner suppies it from home depot I think.Mine is perennial rye,I go light on the seed,I cant be exact because i use an old pull behind spreader that throws it 40 ft,but im guessing im around 2-3lbs/1000.At the golf course we use a rye/bentgrass mix on tees,with Certified Oregon providence creeping bentgrass for greens and collars.We blend in some penncross bent when we verticut in spring.Fairways get perrenial rye at 4lb/1000 twice a year.Rough gets tall fescue/rye blend.Im going to try to blend some more tall fescue into my lawn to keep it greener in the summer heat,I just wonder how itll do up here in the cooler weather spring and fall.