Core Aeration Minimum Price

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Peerless Lawn Care, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

$75 minimum, $15 per 1000 sq ft. These guys charging under $50 are nuts...we have flyers all over my area too for $38 for UP TO 15000 SQFT WTF? I get $225 all day long for 15000 sq ft...they are cheating themselves...

2. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

Want to try again?

But seriously, how many lawns do you have to do at a low price to pay for your LS aerator at about 3000 bucks.

3. WenzelOSLLC

WenzelOSLLC LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in central mn and usually charge about $60 minimum if I have enough people wanting to aerate that day. $20 bucks more if theres only a couple clients. I also rent my equipment so thats how I get my minimum, rental price plus some for my pocket per lawn. So even if I only do one I make money, the more the better.

4. lone wolf

lone wolf LawnSite Member

For example, I have a $35 min on resi lawns to mow. Many are in the $40-$50 range. Aeration is a min of $75 for me. That is about all my area will handle. To me, it is way easier than mowing. I think, anyways.

Tim

5. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not usually called on to aerate lawns less than 6,000 sq ft. We charge at least $75 for that size. We make cross-passes or double-passes with our LS walk-behind.

6. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah seriously. I work for myself so I don't take union coffee breaks every hour or 45 minute lunches. I average 13 lawns per 8 hour day, so thats $500 per day. The most I ever did in one day was 22 lawns-long hard day. I do single pass, no fertilizing or spreading seed. For my lawn fertilization customers I double aerate problem areas. My average lawn is 5,000ft. I also bought the LS Sulky for doing connected lawns.

I owned a Ryan IV and V in the past, so I see is you have never tried the LS aerator you would say aerating sucks. Buying the LS was the best money I ever spent. I can do more lawns in one day and still be ready to work the next day-not dead tired or sore.

All my stops are within 10 minutes of each other, with most stops 2 or 3 aerations. So my LS aerator has been paid off the first month I got it.

You have to find your niche, mine is tiny lawns and sell the neighbors hard. This way charging one 5,000ft customer $350 for the year to fertilize can evolve into having 4 customers totalling 20,000ft charging $1,400.

7. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

BINGO....I spent the $3250 this spring on the Lawn Solutions WB aerator to add to my Plugr 850HD for needed redundancy. I would of seen much quicker return on investment if I had spent that same money towards another mower.

My minimum is basically 1.5X the mowing rate. $45 is my minimum. Spring aeration's are difficult to market since so few irrigation systems are turned on before mowing season starts. Falls aeration are less popular but I have done a few recently.

Overall the time spent dropping off flags or marking them for a customer and the lawn chat spiel I seem to be giving customers on total turf health it hardly makes it worth doing. As soon as mowing season starts I bail on aeration's...just not worth fiddling with if it displaces mowings when you can show up week after week etc.

As strange as it sounds I still would like to buy the Lawn Solutions Stander but $7k+ for such a limited window of use seems silly in my situation. Buying a Toro Grandstand, Walker or even a Quick Dually would yield a better return.

I have another business where I net [not gross] much higher profits overall with far less capital investment ....but I prefer the lawn biz frankly. :hammerhead:

8. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

I shoot for $80 per hour, easy smaller props end up netting about $100 per hour.
    Just got the Lawn Solutions WB, so far, so good.........

9. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Yep, that is my rate too. But, could do better with better equipment and techniques.

10. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

I always get people who say they got a card once from a company who does it for $25, but that is if you catch them every 2 years that they're in the neighborhood.

I don't spend thousands on equipment to give cheap service- that's crazy!