Core Aeration & Pre-emergent Controls

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Meier, Apr 14, 2003.

1. Meier

Meier LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

I applied Pre-M to a customer's lawn about 14 days ago. Today, he decided to have me aerate the lawn.

My understanding is the Pre-M forms a type of invisible barrier on the surface of the soil. I've also understood that when you scratch the surface of the soil, the barrier is broken and weeds can germinate there.

My fear is that the aeration may have greatly reduced the effectiveness of the Pre-M.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
    DFW, TX

2. ParkerLawn

ParkerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

It is not healthy to aerate and put down Pre M at the same time. It will damage the grass at the roots.

3. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

Why? In conjunction with core aeration I make a granular application of 0-0-7 pendamethlin. If the pend. does damage the grass roots it is minor and secondary to the temporary and significant damage a good core aeration job does to turf. Pendamethlin is labelled to be applied to actively growing plants. Excessive amounts applied will greatly inhibit root growth and uptake on nutrients. A calibrated spreader is a must.

If the initial application was the 180 day rate you are pretty much sunk since any more applied will be excessive.