Core Aeration Pricing

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Feb 7, 2008.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

This was covered pretty well last fall, but to reiterate, what is everyone's rates on core aeration? Would like to hear from northern contractors like myself. Going rate seems to be around $12-$15/K sq ft in this neck of the woods? With rental cost, this price range seems to allow me to make a good profit off of the service. What is everyone elses take on this?

2. magland

magland LawnSite Member

That would be high for around here. I would say around $10 per 1000 sq ft. Of course, we still have guys charging $20-$25 to do an aeration. Amazing! A homeowner can't even rent a machine and do it himself for that. Nice industry we are in. Provide a service cheaper than the homeowner can do by himeself. I wish my bathroom remodel guy was that way. I can do it for $4000, so how about you do it for $3500. :hammerhead:

3. green_mark

green_mark LawnSite Senior Member

We run at 15.00/1,000 but are going to increase this year to about 16.50.

4. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I just purchased a Bluebire 530a with a 4 hp Honda engine. Im going to charg 60$ per yard 1hour max. 50$ each additional hour. The rental co gets 45$ per hour.

5. DFLS

DFLS LawnSite Senior Member

You should get more than that. If the first lawn takes 2 hours then you make $110 less the rental fee $45 = $65 for two hours work. Now you have to consider the pick up / drop off of the machine that is time = $$ off of the $65 profit. That boils down to less than $30/hr. Before I bought an aerator I charged the rental price + my time to pick it up and drop it off to the customer in addition to an hourly fee for the aeration itself. Even if you do more than one yard per rental, charge each customer the rental fee (unless they are neighbors then split the rental fee). Easy extra money.

6. larryinalabama

My thinking is that most lawns will take 30 minutes or less, at 60$ per yard thats fine, I just want to cover myself if the coner lot guy wants it done ant it takes me longer. I only need 20 jobs to cove what I paid for the machine.

7. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Hey if I can't make at least $75 bare minimum including marking sprinkler heads myself [I don't trust the customer to mark them all] for the same yard I would charge to $35 to mow why bother. Just mow yards at that rate why aerate and risk punching and destroying sprinkler heads dog run lines etc. Get a bigger faster mower to knock out more yards faster and make more mowing than aerating. Use the $4500+ towards a cool new ZTR. The big name companies around here pull in big bucks aerating why not me with superior equipment, and with an up sell on over seeding etc. payup

IMHO you need to pull in x2 min what you would make mowing to make it worth offering. Every area is different.

:waving:

8. larryinalabama

I just now am starting to build my business. I will do it part time for this year and hopefully full time next year. I may try for 75$ for aerating, even at 60$ Im still thinking its a good lick.

9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

First yr I had a $75 minimum , next yr it went to $90 , last yr raised it to $100 Running one all day is like dancing with a big girl , its a lot of work!

10. larryinalabama

Well I guess Ive danced with some big girls in my day. The Blubird will wear your rear end down.

Anyway part of my business plan is to have all or most of the equiptment that rental yards have. I will offer the machines with me the operator slightly higher than the rental yards do. Im trying to get some of the do it yourselvers work that no one else does.