Core Aeration Question

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Lnd Svyr, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Lnd Svyr

Lnd Svyr LawnSite Member

How many days after rain should I wait to perform core aeration? I plan on doing it every weekend, and every weekend it rains. I called in sick today, hoping the forecast wouldn't be right--and, it rained all last night.

This rain is also keeping me from performing the soil tests for lawn and garden.

Everything's turning green and I am ready to get hopping. But I don't want to go putting down a lot of weed and feed et cetera without aerating and testing.

2. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

You can aerate anytime. With it raining every weekend, and last night, your soil should be plenty soft enough to get good plugs. I am not sure as to your reason for aerating now, though golf courses tend to do it as often as every month. Not knowing your soil condition or past history, I would still go aerate today. As for the soil test, why is the rain preventing you from performing this? Even if the samples that you collect are wet, they still can show their nutrient defeciencies and besides, by the time they get to the lab, they will have dried.

3. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

If you are saturated, or have a drainage problem you will have a mess on your hands. Enjoy the day off and wait till conditions are good/better. There is no rush to get it done. More benificial in the Fall. JMO.

4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Soil drys out from the top down so may wait a few days. It will still be plenty damp to get some good cores. It seems like you plan to aerte really heavy. Is this a really compacted area? High traffic areas don't usually see that many aerations. I maintained a clay base football feild and only had to aerate 3 times a year when it was at it's worst. Every week seems a bit extreme unless you have soil like concrete. ;)

5. Lnd Svyr

Lnd Svyr LawnSite Member

Sorry. I think I came off sounding as if I aerate every weekend--I just meant, every weekend since it warmed up some, it has been my intention to aerate the lawn, but the rain has always stopped me. I do have heavy clay. When my builder originally TRIED to establish a lawn, he did put down some sand and topsoil--very little--so I basically have heavy clay. And, I haven't aerated in these 5 years.

I bought the Scotts' book some of the pros hereon recommended and it is great. It seems to say aerate after a light watering. So, maybe I qualify for doing the job Sunday as it may have dried enough to work. As Marko said, I want to avoid a mess. I think the Scott's book says it's OK to aerate warm season grasses in the spring. Optimally, I'd like to do it spring and fall.

Since finding Lawnsite.com, I have decided to make a real effort at improving my lawn (about a half acre).

6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ