Core Aeration

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Green Boys LawnCare, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Green Boys LawnCare

Green Boys LawnCare LawnSite Member

I'm looking for the core aerator that is easiest to use, and does a good job. I have a Blue Bird, and it works all right, but it wears you out. A guy could make a lot of money with a machine he could run all day. Any help from operators would be appreciated. I think I want a unit you walk behind as opposed to a stander - so I don't tear up lawns in wet conditions. Thanks

2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Plugr PL850 hydro, or Turfco TurnAire. Both self-propelled walk behinds and you can add a sulky to them if you want.

3. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

I am going to suggest the Turfco TurnAer Aerator with Chariot. It comes in two sizes one for larger lawns and one for the 5000 sq ft and down lawns. Now the smaller one the TurnAer 4 for smaller lawns can still use the chariot so when you get on a lawn that is larger you can ride and speed the machine up to do double the production that you can walking. The larger unit I advise for larger lawns and commercial property where you want to do some serious acres every day. It will do an acre an hour. When you walk with these machine they turn using disc brakes on a differential powered drive shaft so it does not tear. When you turn the inside tines slow down and the outside tines speed up just like your tires on a rear wheel drive truck. The small one is the size of a Ryan LA IV and will turn around a basketball without tearing. See them at Turfco.com or call 800.679.8201

4. Rock Solid

Rock Solid LawnSite Member

Check with South Topeka Service Complex, they have a PLUGR PL850 hydro in stock, and available for a demo.
    Phone # 785-862-3904

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Ryan aerators are nice, they give you a workout but they are a nice unit!

6. Green Boys LawnCare

Does anyone have experience with the Classen split drive aerators? They look pretty nice, too. I've got a sales rep bringing one out to demo next Friday. I'm going to try and find out if I can demo a turn-aire, too. They have a 14 day free trial, but I don't want to pay the shipping if I don't like it.

7. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

have you looked at the plugr?

why not a plugr?

8. Green Boys LawnCare

My bother-in-law has rented them and thought they ran kind of rough. If the ground was hard the cam driven cores didn't go all the way into the ground. I may try and demo the plugr at South Topeka Service Complex.

9. Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries

Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries LawnSite Senior Member

I've run all of the units mentioned and they all respectively have great features. However for depth of plugs in all conditions and ease of use don't forget to check out the Billy Goat AE400 Series. It's compact, has folding handles, has an easy to fill 50# water tank that's above the tines, is stable on hillsides, is easy to pop out of the ground for turning and pulls the deepest plugs of any competitive aerators.

I'd probably be considered biased though. :rolleyes:

10. MassSteelerfan

MassSteelerfan LawnSite Member
    from Mass

How is the service with turnaer, liked machine but scared by the fact that they are direct ship, and uf problem then what?? has anyone had any experiences with them?? good or bad