core aeration

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Meagle816, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Meagle816

Meagle816 LawnSite Member
    from mo

question about spring aeration. Does this create problem with pre-m? would the wholes open up the barrier to allow crab grass to emerge? would like some imput on this. I understand it is reccommended to aerate twice a year (spring & fall) for maximine benefit.

2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Like I recently posted.. Recently many universities have done studies proving that aeration does not effect the pre emergent barrier. Personally... I can not understand how thats possible. I still dont feel comfortable aerating in the spring after a application of pre-emergent.:confused:

3. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Evan, could you post a link to some of those studies?

4. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

Our dealer says that it "breaks the barrier" thus one of the reasons to do two applications of a pre-emergence?

5. Evan528

yes, Give me a couple days to locate the articles.

6. Evan528

After about an hour of looking through my old trade magaines and internet searches I finally found this articke from Colorado state Coopertive extension. It states

"Conventional core cultivation (aeration) does not reduce the effectiveness of pre-emergent herbicides that have already been applied."

I have seen this written several times and even remember reading a actual study. If I find more I will post it. Here is the link for the article with the above statement.
    Article

7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I ageee with Evan. If the barrier is on the ground and we aerate and pull up plugs, seems any weed seeds that fall into the new holes touching soil that was below the barrier would grow. However people much smarter that me seem to say otherwise.

Here are a few links Jim provided, I would post a link to his entire post but it's at another forum.

From Jim: I took a look, and here is the article I was quoting: http://www.golfdom.com/golfdom/arti...ail.jsp?id=1030 . Note the references if you wish to pursue the subject in greater depth on your own. This magazine is not just advertising blather. (At least it hasn't been for last 10 yrs.) You can get a few of last years' articles, including this one, at http://www.golfdom.com/golfdom/arti...urfGrass+Trends

8. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

I aerate first then go down with Dimension in April. Why risk it?

9. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Spring aeration and pre-emergent: it was talked about at many trade conferences here in early 90s. You pull up a plugs of soil on a lawn with pre-em already applied, and the pre-em is just dissolved back into the surface of the lawn. Studies in cool season grasses done at Iowa and Michigan State; southern studies done earlier. All studies found no increase of crabgrass if aeration done after pre-em application.

Most turf sources do say not to make it a regular practice. But if you have already done your app, and find a reason to aerate afterward, you're not going to create a crabgrass problem. Article in first link Kirby posted above is a recent article where this is mentioned again.

10. Meagle816

Meagle816 LawnSite Member
    from mo

thank you all for the great information. it was really good and interesting reading.