1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Core Aerator Transport Help!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by HydroRI, Nov 21, 2004.

1. HydroRI

HydroRI LawnSite Member

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of how I could transport around a core aerator by myself without using a trailer. I want to buy my own next season but when I rented one this year I was struggling getting it on and off my pickup truck (4x4) using ramps. Even when I pulled the weights off it is still very awkward getting it on and off the truck. Anyway I saw the carry rack Perma Green uses for there unit and I think that is something like what I am looking for. It will be closer to the ground and has it's own ramps but I don't know if that is too big and expensive for what I need it for. Anyone have any other ideas?
  2. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Here is the pg rack, I think it was around $750.00

photos 027.jpg
  3. HydroRI

HydroRI LawnSite Member

Great Picture, Anywhere close to RI where I could buy one? Does Lesco carry somthing like that for their spreader?
  4. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

C&S Turf makes a carrier for the Reese Hitch that is really nice, a solid mesh floor with complete drop down gate to the curb, comes with tail light plug in as well. there number is 330-966-4511.
  5. James Cormier

from Ma

I will sell you mine for $3500 and I will throw in the PG.

Yes lesco carries those,
  6. HydroRI

HydroRI LawnSite Member

No Thanks James, I don't need a PG yet. Maybe after I put some miles on me I will want one. I really only do residential work right now.

That carrier looks pretty heavy are you able to hook that up to your truck yourself?
  7. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

I had a specail platform made that fits into my rear receiver hitch It is about a 4' x3' platform. I roll my plugr right up on it. I went to a local welder who builds race car chassis. He uses 2" steel square tubing. When I asked him about the laod rating he said the truck springs
    would break before the platform would even feel it. I've used for fertilizer and had about 800# on their no problem -- so even the heavies aerator would be too hard.

I use a set of wooden ramps -- but some liek that PG could be crafted fairly easy.

BTW it cost me an aeartion, a couple large pizzas and $50 to have the platform made.
  8. James Cormier

from Ma

Yes, its very heavy, one guy maybe able to remove it but not me...to heavy for my back.

I just have a stack of pallets ( 3 high ) and I back up to that, then pull it off onto the pallets, fairly easy, then just move it around with a pallet jack.

Ive carried my hand aerator, sliceseeder and snow blower with it, the only problem is the ramps need to fold into the machine to lock on, with certain equipment like the snow blower, the handles hang to far over to raise and lock the ramps. So for those items you just need to back it up, which is easier said then done, especially a walk behind aerator, cause it aint got reverse.
  9. Envi-Lawn

Envi-Lawn LawnSite Member
    from CT

I bought a carry-all rack from Northern Tool, but I haven't seen it in their catalog for some time. It is 4'x6' and fit in the 2" receiver. No ramps are needed as it pivots down to the curb side of the truck. Capacity is 600#. They call it the wheel-less trailer. It weighs 150#. Its very sturdy and stores upright.
  10. gogetter

gogetter Banned

One other way to go would be to get one of those ramp/gates that replaces your trucks tailgate. They look similar to a trailer ramp/gate.

You can look on www.usaramp.com for different ones that are available (pretty sure there's more then one manufacturer). I think there about the same price as that PG carrier, in that range anyway.
    With these you can safely load bigger things into your truck, like an ATV, mower, etc., etc.