1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Core Aerator

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rcreech, Sep 7, 2007.

1. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I have a 3 pt Befco core aerator and it is not pulling or removing plugs like it should.

It will "punch" holes in the ground...but isn't removing the soil and putting it on top of the ground.

It seems like the spoons get "full" and are not "cleaning out". I clean them out each time before I start with a hammer and punch.

I called Befco and I am doing everything exactly as they have suggested. Entry is at the correct angle and tines are in great shape.

Have any of you ever had this happen?

Any ideas on what to do?

Befco 009.jpg

Befco 006.jpg
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You know,..This is the second time this has come up tonight about aerators. I have found that when they haven't been used in awhile, they do this. The insides of the spoons get a bit rusty, and we all know what it's like to dig wet soil with a rusty shovel. It takes more effort to shake and knock the soil OFF the shovel, than it does to dig it out of the ground. Atleast after a while, they get sanded down a ways and get smoother. What I'm thinking, is a good cleaning (pressure washing, etc.) out of the spoons, and coating them with silicone, WD-40, or even "Fluid Film" could jump in on this. Also, and probably even better yet, would be to clean them all up AFTER use - especially for the season, and coat them (the insides) then to prevent corrosion in the first place. Just an idea.
  3. LawnDawg65

LawnDawg65 LawnSite Member

I have a lesco one, love it. Quetion - how much weight on top do you use, I use 300 lbs. - and at what speed are you pulling it. More weight and a slower speed " will force" the dirt out. Just a thought www.candbcustomlawns.com
  4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Thanks guys!

I can put anywhere from 100-400 lbs on it depending on the moisture and soil conditions.

I run about 3-4 mph.

Going to mess around with it today and see what I can come up with.
  5. naughty62

naughty62 LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

a couple year ago ,boss came back from a chemical run . He had a model63 made by a different company . when I found out how cheap he got it ,the first thing I wonder was whats wrong with it$ 200 for it , very good shape ,closed spoons.we tried different entry angle ,more weight on the rack ,even raised the center connecting point with flat stock on the implement to allow a boader range of entry angle .not much luck .It sits out back alot. The only time it throws goods plugs is when I keep the spoons cleaned out and flat foot it across larger properties.Hold on toyour hat.
  6. Puttinggreens

Puttinggreens LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from southeast PA

I have had similar problems in the past. I completely agree with Runner. Usually seems to be rust in the spoons. Even a little holds up the plugs.

7. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

I have the woods 60" BEAST, if i clean out the tines after each use and spray them down with liquid wrench i dont get the jamming problem. I usually run 700 lbs of block on the weight tray to pull 3.5' plugs, my unit has 96 tines so it takes serious weight to get down deep.
  8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

So once I get them cleaned up and keep them lubed should that fix the problem?
  9. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Have you tries several adjustments on your toplink?
  10. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Thanks LK!

We are going to try and bore out the spoons to remove all debris, rust and dryed soil etc.

When you say adjustments on the top link....I run the aerator level to the ground. How do you run yours?

I looked at the woods as it was an awesome unit but cost about 500 more. Probably should have spent the extra! Mine only has 80 tines.

Does yours pull good plugs all the time?