core aerators

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by lindylawn, Mar 31, 2006.

1. lindylawn

lindylawn LawnSite Member

I am in the market to purchase a commercial aerator (sick of renting the bluebird ballbuster) I have tentatinvely narrowed it down to the PLUGR PL-600, or a slightly used Billy Goat about the same size. Demoed the Lesco aerator and was not impressed. The PLUGR seems to be about the most user friendly I've seen with the exception being the stand on Z-Plugger! Cost scares me on the Z. Any insight! Thanks

2. roushjh

roushjh LawnSite Member
    from KS

I rented a BillyGoat before buying my Plugr 600. I'm glad I didn't make the mistake of buying the Billygoat. 600 is a very good machine, I'm extremely happy with it.

3. Dweezil

Dweezil LawnSite Member

Look for a Ryan Lawnair IV or V, they last forever and a day and can be found easily.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

If you can afford it, get the 800H like we just did.

5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Turfco makes a good one!!!:waving:

6. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

We use the 26" Ryans and the turfco 42" tow behinds, they are both great. I would not advise using a 19" they are terribly unproductive. As fast as you can drive a 44" laser is as fast as you can aerate with the turfco. They are inexpensive and bulletproof. (1500 maybe new) Perhaps a used smalll ryan and a turfco be great way to go. We just use our 26" for perimeters and the turfco does the rest, avg 6,000 sq foot lawn takes 8-10 minutes

7. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a 600h. Bought it from 65hoss. [he HAD two] He wanted to buy it back a few weeks ago...no way hoss!
    It is a great product. 800 and 850 have a tighter core spacing, they are all the same width, 30". The 850 is hydrostatic. http://www.plugr.com/index.html

8. BravesFan

BravesFan LawnSite Member

I'm getting ready to list a like new plugr pl800 aerator...honda motor on ebay this week. I'll have pictures and a link to the ebay auction in a day or two. starting bid will be $1299.

I also have 49 extra tines. Dealers sell them for $10-$12 each. I'll start bidding at $6 each(under $300 for all).

Dennis

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

why are you selling it?

10. BravesFan

BravesFan LawnSite Member

Rod,

I run 3 businesses and am scaling back my aeration business. I had employees this past fall running the machines. This year, it's only going to be me. I'll be picking and choosing the work I do.

The aerator has low hours and was purchased new about 8 months ago.

I actually have 3 plugr's available...all comparable shape. I'll give the buyer his/her choice of the lot.

Dennis