1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Core aerators

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ArchiesLawns, Feb 24, 2008.

1. ArchiesLawns

ArchiesLawns LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I am looking to purchase a new aerator. I would like to get some feedback on what everyone is using. I have Ryan Lawnaire 28, but I am looking to purchase something that is easier to operate. This thing will wear you out after 4-5 lawns.

Anyone have any good input?

2. mnturfmaster

mnturfmaster LawnSite Member

we also have the lawnaire 28. good machine but it can be a PITA to operate. We also have lawnaire IV and V rolling drum aerators. The 2 that we have are both 10 years old and this last fall was the first time that we have put any money into either of them. Both machines work great as long as the soil is moist. Also have a lesco split drive which i am going to be selling becuse it is a tank and hard to operate. And an 19" husquvarna i purched last fall which will be going up for sale this spring. I will either be purchasing 2 new ryan's or turfco's. I really like our ryans. They have made us ALOT of money with minimal repairs.
  3. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

I have both the Ryan IV and V. The IV is smaller and works better on harder soils, it also has 2 chains pulling it. The larger V has one chain pulling it, and the chain has broken twice on me already (I spoke to a few people and they feel that this is a defect in the design which Ryan has not yet fixed). The V gives you smaller cores also. I had a few customers notice the difference in the size of the cores left on their lawn. Both are very dependable.
  4. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

We run BlueBird 530A's and Ryan LawnAire IV's and V's. All of them will kick your butt after a few lawns. The IV is by far the easiest to manuever and operate and pulls a great plug. The V turns easier since it has the split drive. We too have run these for years and never had any major overhauls or repairs.
    Ryan's are tough to beat. I've also tested a Claussen 25 which is a very nice unit but a little pricey.
    Good luck!
  5. ArchiesLawns

ArchiesLawns LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Would you choose the Ryan over the Bluebird? Also, has anyone used a Turfco machine? Thanks for the info.
  6. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the Plugr PL800 and would but another one, but probably the one with hydrostatic drive. Mine works great in moist, but firm soil. You have to push it a little bit in real moist soil and push it a lot up hills. Pulls great plugs and is very maneuverable.
  7. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Note to Mikesturf. new aerators always pull smaller cores than older ones. As the tines wear down the inside of the bore gets bigger and pulls larger cores. They pull the best cores just before they to to Tine heaven.

ArchiesLawns. If you have not tried the new (been out 4 years) Turfco TurnAer aerator you are missing something. It is an aerator you drive using left and right brakes. You can also ride behind it on a sulky for the bigger lawns and lifts itself out of the ground. It costs more but production goes up anywhere from 30 to 50%. Reason is the operator is going fast all day especially when he rides most of the time. Uses the same rolling design that has been around since 1977 and the same tine as a ryan. Only made by Turfco. You can buy them direct and get parts direct. Yet if you do like sore legs and back aches Turfco still makes the old design like the Ryan, Bluebird and Classen.
  8. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

The diameter of the tines on my IV are larger than my V. I wish I could get larger diameter tines for my V.
  9. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

There are larger tines available if you get the 3/4 inch tine that Ryan makes for the Tracaire and Renovaire. But they take more weight to push them in the ground as the sidewalls are thicker. When we designed the Ryan units back in the 70s they were designed with thinner walled tines to need less weight to push them into the ground. You may be making more problems trying to get more soil removal per tine. The other thing is the renovaire tines have a larger OD and can damage the tine plates when you force them into the plates.

10. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have noticed the turnaer online. I guess the only question I had was... How was the turning with it, how quick can parts be gotten for it, & pricing. thanks for any help.