Core Aerators?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ArchiesLawns, Jan 13, 2004.

1. ArchiesLawns

ArchiesLawns LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Looking to buy a new core aerator in a couple of weeks. Does anybody want to give me any pros & cons on the one they are using, or maybe the one they wished they had bought instead.

I looked yesterday at the split drum Lesco sells. Nice but not sure which is easier to move split drum or no split.

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks

2. ANDY-W

ANDY-W LawnSite Member
    from IN

Split drum turns a lot easier. We use 2 Ryans and a Z-plugr. If you have a lot of jobs the Z-plugr is the way to go.

3. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

In my opinion nothing beats the Rock Solid Plugr

[​IMG]

It pulls better core, easier to amneuver and much easier on the body then all of the rest. I have used drum and split ine -- they don't compare.

The only things that I would consider better would be the RyanLA28, The Z-Plugr nad the new Classes ride-on spreader.

4. johnbast3

johnbast3 LawnSite Member

I've used a Ryan 28 for 10 years-still plugging along..JB

5. NCL

NCL LawnSite Member
    from NJ

check out billy goats new model its a piston type similar to the plugger

6. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

If I had the money right now I would be buying the turfco turnarator. It is a split drive that uses a differential and disc brakes. but pretty pricey. I rent a bluebird machine when I need one and it handles Ok.

7. smoke johnson

smoke johnson LawnSite Member

the z pluger is the best thing i have ever bought. we have 3 new z sprayers ordered to replace the perma (junks) greens. i didn't get to use my pg for 1/2 hour before it broke and took me 4 days to get the parts for it. i demo a z spray and there is nothing on the market that even compares to it. Great business to deal with

8. On another thread a fella wrote about his aerator, "less moveing parts then a cam aerator and hasnt broken down one time yet." Aren't the RockSolid and Z-Plugr cam driven and do you owners of them find they are prone to breakdown?

9. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

not at all. very simple design.

10. Bryant

Bryant LawnSite Member

ArchiesLawns if you have a mid mount Z we make a core aerator that applies down pressure for these style of mowers. www.gator-rator.com