1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ant, May 3, 2001.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

i have a fert. job that has 2+ inches of thatch,i did 2 split apps of pre-m .the last one being the 15th of april.
    i just core areated his lawn 3 times over.
    do you think i will have problems with crab grass?
  2. powerreel

powerreel Banned

In my area you DO NOT ever aerate without overseeding,that process is nuked by your pre-m app. ALL PRE-M's prune roots, and roots are the key to great plants!
  3. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

As stated on the label of the Pre-M, it works by creating a barrier in the soil. That's why the label says not to disturb the soil once you apply. The Pre-M you put down is probably not doing its job now so you may have a crabgrass problem. Also, if you are dealing with a thatch problem it might be better to use a dethatcher to take care of it, then aerate if the soil is compacted.
  4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe its just my area-but on good healthy lawns-is crabgrass really a problem?I practic IPM,and I havent seen enough of it to warrant applying preM here on my lawns or at the golf course in the last 5 years anyway.I have one area that gets it-its in the rough so its not a big deal for me,and frost wipes it out in late september/october.Now post emegent weeds are out of control-dandelions especially on all lawns it seems.