core drilling holes in curbs

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Fahzu, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Fahzu

Fahzu LawnSite Member

Anyone have any links describing core drilling curbs for drainage? This is something I've rarely been able to observe and I am curious about how long it takes and proper tools etc. Thanks!
  2. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

You can rent a portable hand held core drill and diamond core bit. You will need some sort of guide to start the hole. I would draw an outline on a piece of plywood. Cut it out with a jigsaw, then clamp that to the curb. The hole will allow you to start the drilling without the drill walking all over. Some existing curbs have wire in it. How big are you going? Sump Pump? or 3-4" pvc? If I were to drill anything over 3", I would just saw cut out a slice in the curb with tapered sides. Whack out the center with a sledge. Put your pipe in, and frame out the face with wood. Get some good mortar mix and re-form the curb.
  3. Fahzu

Fahzu LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply champ,

I'm thinking 3" pvc going under the sidewalk. My backyard and garage flood when we get heavy rains and I want to tie into my gutters and have some drain heads where it floods, and lead it out to the street. Nothing to technical, but it might be something useful for me to learn if I ever start doing installs that require drainage.