Corn gluten meal and feather meal, only options?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by lawncuttinfoo, Feb 13, 2008.

1. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

I need some food to add to my program between the monthly compost tea applications right?

According to Paul Tukey's book the only natural food products with zero phosphorous are corn gluten meal and feather meal. And in MN it is illegal to apply phosphorous without a test showing a deficiency. So for lawns that have adequate P, it seems that these 2 products are my only options to include in my program to complement the compost tea, correct?

2. Gerry Miller

Gerry Miller LawnSite Senior Member

Feather meal is high in protein, but it takes forever to be broken down by the micro herd. It won't fill the need of protein needed now for the them. Perhaps you can find corn meal as an alternative. While being on the low end of crude protein content, it also gives you natural disease control.

"Dr. Joe McFarland and his staff at the A&M Research Station in Stephenville discovered, that cornmeal is effective at controlling fungal diseases on peanuts. I started playing with it and discovered that it is effective on brown patch in St. Augustine and damping off in seedlings. Used at about 20 lbs./1,000 sq. ft. per surface area of soil. Cornmeal will help control all diseases on photinia, Indian hawthorn, roses, fruit trees, turf and seed flats. Horticultural cornmeal is even better because it is the concentrated outer edge of the corn kernel and itÂ’s available in large bags at many of the garden centers and feed stores that sell the organic products."
    http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=1372

As far as Phosphorus goes:

Soybean Meal Phosphorus 0.65 %
    Corn Gluten Meal Phosphorus 00.5 %
    Alfalfa pellets Phosphorus 0.23%
    Feather Meal Phosphorus 0.31 %
    Cottonseed Meal Phosphorus 1.10 %

As you can see, they all contain some Phosphorus.

3. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

4. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

It is the claim on the bag of fertilizer that will make the difference to you as far as regulations. If the bag claims zero phophorous then you can use it. All fertilizers have to submit their label and a copy of the macro/micro nutrient analysis. a percentage of a percent is not considered a whole number and therefore can not be claimed as a nutrient.

although the fert may contain .95 phosphorous, it can not be claimed on the label and will be considered a zero phosphorous fert.

I am not sure what the law is with meals that do not claim to be a fertilizer but animal feed. It is all about what the product claims to the Deptartment of Ag

5. green_mark

green_mark LawnSite Senior Member

We have a locally manufactured product for you that is an 8-0-5 liquid.

Nice slow growth and Fantastic Green

Call me at 651-295-8388

6. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

the feed ferts are a grey area
    i want to know what the big box stores will do with what they sell to home owners