corn gluten meal

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by 2 clowns mowing, Feb 11, 2008.

1. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

how long after i stop using corn gluten meal will seeds germinate again?

2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

About 6 weeks.

3. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

soo i was told to put corn gluten on eary spring and late fall. so if your saying 6 weeks after i put it down in the spring my seeds will start to germinate shouldn't i put more down like monthly?

4. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

No. There is too much N in it, it is too costly. What you want to do in addition to CG is develop a thick healthy turf that will crowd out most weeds. Proper mowing, irrigation, over seeding and adding organic matter are all critical parts of this program

5. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

Is 40 lbs /1K Sq ft (4lbs N / 1 K Sq ft) enough fert for a lawn for the entire year?

6. Newby08

Newby08 LawnSite Senior Member

OK, I was raised that N was what you want a lot of to keep the yard nice and green, just dump it on... this is apparently not true? I'm talking about bermuda and from what I understand it is a nitrogen hog. I've never seen any bad effects from it other than it being synthetic lawn care and I think we were all kidding ourselves that it was actually a "healthy" lawn. What is the right amount of N? I understand that organic lawns will be healthier and greener but what is the proper amount of N?

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

The right amount is the amount necessary for the plant to sustain a natural rate of growth given the current environmental conditions. You can determine this by observation or testing. I do not recommend you follow industry "recommendations" as they are usually tailored for synthetic ferts.

8. Newby08

Newby08 LawnSite Senior Member

stupid question recieves stupid answer (you know what I mean). I can be such a dope sometimes. ;)

I know what you mean.

Thanks,
    The Newb (I think that says it all)