1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

corn gluten meal

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GreenStar, Jan 20, 2002.

1. GreenStar

GreenStar Banned

i've been playing with the "organic" idea lately. i have spent countless hours reading and calling. i stopped by the local elevator to talk to this guy about corn gluten meal. it blew my mind when he told me the cost per 50# bag. it was $27 but then he added insult to injury and showed me FEED GRADE corn gluten meal. he said it was the same product just no labeled for turf grass, $3.25 a bag. then he tells me it's a $10,000 fine if your caught applying it to turf grass. ok this bothers me with so many people wanting to see pesticides banned in lawn care yet the few alternatives we have they rape us. what are some thoughts on this. has anyone used corn gluten meal with success?
  2. groundsguy1970

groundsguy1970 Banned

Just don't stink up anyone's house prior to a party with the organics....take it from me!
  3. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

The rate required to get even fair Crabgrass control is even more astronomical than the price per bag. But wait til you see how much N is delivered with all that Corn Gluten. Excessive is putting ot mildly.
    That legal product had to get a lable. That baby costs a fortune in R & D expenses. Then you have marketing, insurance, etc. Oh yeah, you've got to be able to spread the stuff too so all kinds of mechanical processing.
    Then there's the issue of scale of economies. Since demand is so small for the products the cost is still very high....for now anyway.

I'd like to see more R & D in this area, but personally don't think the market is ready for this yet.

4. greensman

greensman LawnSite Member

I would have to agree with tremor on this one. Though I have had some experience with this product and it was what you would expect from and organic source (dirty and dusty).

There are plenty of cheap organics out there to make the lawn green as for the weed control forget it.:cool:
  5. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

We have had good results with corn glutten meal. We have a ton of people down here in our neck of the woods who all want organic lawn programs so they are willing to pay top dollar for the service.
  6. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

What's it costing per acre if you don't mind me being nosey? So far, no one is promoting it around here. Probablt due to freight expenses.

7. groundsguy1970

groundsguy1970 Banned

Tremor's got it....

I ran into the problem of corn gluten not breaking down and sitting up in the turf canopy and molding....just a thought about how much organic material your soil may or may not be able to eat.....:cool: