1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Corn Gluten not labeled for crab grass control???

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by upidstay, Mar 28, 2011.

1. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Marcos
    I really like distillers grain, it has nice color, spreads easily and does have a fair amount of gluten

2. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Correct your soil pH too.

3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

If you are on the wagon or in AA it would not be a good idea, you will smell like liquor. What do you mean? I have never looked at the pH, fill me in

at $250 a ton it is a great deal

4. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a book here published by Acres U.S.A. that says to correct the pH and that will help control the crab grass naturally. It can take two years, but it works.

I usually get flamed when I tell people this.

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Snake Oil and BS are still the only 2 great sellers in this lagging economy... You should try it for 2 years and write up a testamonial...

I like Bill's CGM that is good for 6 weeks then you can overseed again...

6. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Actually, you're right.
    Even though its N-potency is around 1/3 less, distiller's grain is actually a better acidifier than cottonseed meal.
    It's proving over & over to be a tremendous product in terms of value in our heavy clay, generally high pH S. Ohio soil.

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/news/columns...tend-the-shelf-life-of-wet-distillers-grains/

excerpt:
    "Before you pack it into the bag, verify that your wet distillers grain has a pH between 3 and 3.5. A low pH enhances preservation, especially when you ensile wet distillers grain with corn stalks or other high-fiber feeds that don�t contain enough water-soluble carbohydrates for proper fermentation.
    Most wet corn byproducts come from the processing plant with a pH between 3 and 3.5. Just make sure to ask for an analysis."

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Right with respect to what? I see CG in soils that hover around a neutral pH.

8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Now we're saying that fermentated corn will acidify a soil? Is that like saying UCG, vinegar or pine needles will acidify a soil?

9. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

For many newer clients who've had repeat applications of DG & especially whose lawns aren't yet developed enough to crowd out invaders, very recently we've begun to take notice of a common denominator of DG dandelion suppression in terms of an overall lack-of-vigor, compared to neighboring turf containing untreated Taraxacum officinale.

Hat's off to Elfner, our neighbor to the northeast, for turning us onto DG a while back. :waving:

The relative pH of distillers grains.... in a related article discussing DG weed suppression / control of annual weeds in nursery containers :
    http://ddr.nal.usda.gov/dspace/bitstream/10113/15807/1/IND44013939.pdf