1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

corn gluten results in first year.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Shades of Green LService, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

I was wondering if anyone here has had luck with using corn gluten for the first time. Any real weed control? I know it will get better as the CG gets prevelant in the soil. Just so they don't move this thread, This is a Fertilizer to 9-0-0.
  2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Shades: I went to the local fertilizer place and tried to get the corn-gluten, but the guy looked at me as if I had come from Mars. Where did you ever find it, especially up there. I thought for sure that it would be available at a Co-op. Ha Ha. What grass were you trying it on? Fescue? I'd like to try it on centipede.
  3. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

The jonathan Green dealer has it, and there is a place called blossoms that sells it. I was gonna try it on a fescue yard.
  4. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

maybe i need to start a CGM shipping company
  5. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I was involved with some controlled trials of CGM more years back than I care to remember.
    Several things I discovered.
    The overall determining factor of any success, well any success I noticed, hinged upon the manner the GCM was made - it has to come from a wet milling process with a very high degree of control on the final, bagged product.
    Soil types was also an Achilles heel to the efficacy of the GCM. Heavy clay based soils with limited exchange sites meant the GCM wouldn't work.
    Application rates where over 30lbs/thousand feet with repeated applications that absolutely had to be timed properly or all you accomplished was becoming a yellow, gasping, smurf.
    I know that Iowa State, Purdue and Penn State have all at one time or another examined GCM so check their sites for more info.
  6. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

hmmm. i see this as an opportunity. i think i might do some tests of my own on a strip of my personal vegetable garden this season. it works for me in my customers annual beds i know for sure, just from comparing from one year to the next.
  7. MaineFert

MaineFert LawnSite Member
    from Maine

If you guys are looking at a Corn Gluten product for this season let me know. I may be able to get some pricing.
    Up here in Maine many LCO's (including us) are using it as part of thier program. Clients will have to realize that it is a process of getting the CGM to work over a few years, but there are programs we have developed to not only help spread the costs out over the season on all nautral programs.
  8. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

A friend mentioned to me that as the CGM builds up over repeated applications that you will have problems getting grass seed to germinate in the fall. Any truth to that?

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

we cant get grass to grow under normal conditions up here in this damm clay lol
  10. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Somewhat true, however it also depends upon the milling process the CGM has been derived from. CGM naturally acts as a preemergent herbicide so toxicity in the soil can be a concern.
    However, normal cultural practices to the site, aerification/power rakings will typically break that seal the CGM residue provides so re-seeding an area will work.