corn gluten(sp)

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by grass disaster, Apr 8, 2005.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

you guys ever hear of this. i talked to a guy at the local feed mill. he said i sould use this for crab grass preventor.

does it work? he said it is a natural product. the price is $22 dollars for 100lbs.

seems like a cost saving idea.

2. wally world III

wally world III LawnSite Member

feed mill ~~~~ corn meal ~~~ $6 / 100#
    ~~~~~~ corn gluten meal ~~~ $ 14.50 / 50#

so you better check it closely...............
    because they are very different....................
    :blob2: :blob1: :blob4: :blob4:

3. grass disaster

could you put this down on a fairly new lawn. i over seeded my lawn last fall.
    would this be a good idea to put this down or should i let the lawn fill in a little more.

4. wally world III

Organic Weed Control Methods ~ Corn Gluten Meal

"What is Corn Gluten Meal?"
    Corn gluten meal is a yellowy powder created as a by-product during a milling process of corn. It is primarily used in farm animal feeds, dog food, and fish food. It contains 60% protein and 10% nitrogen. It is also used as a "pre-emergent" weed control for lawns. The nitrogen in the Corn Gluten Meal provides a small amount of fertilizer helping to "green-up" the lawn.

"What is a "pre-emergent?"
    A pre-emergent is an herbicide used before emergence of seedlings above the ground. "Is Corn Gluten Meal the same as the cornmeal I make muffins with?" It's a very different product, cornmeal for baking is a specific product made by grinding dried corn kernels.

"How does Corn Gluten Meal control weeds?"
    Corn Gluten Meal prevents roots from forming during seed germination. If a root can't grow a seedling will not be able to obtain water or nourishment from the soil, it will dry up and die. Corn Gluten Meal must be applied to the soil before weeds germinate in order to be effective. It has no effect upon weeds that have already sprouted and formed a root system.

"What are some weeds that Corn Gluten Meal will help control?"
    Corn Gluten Meal is effective as a pre-emergent in controlling crabgrass, curly dock, dandelions, lamb's quarters, and pigweed.

"How should I apply Corn Gluten Meal to my lawn?"
    It can be used in a spreader and applied at a recommended rate of 20 lbs per 1,000 square feet. Prior to applying please read the application information on the product packaging.

"When should I apply Corn Gluten Meal to my lawn?"
    Spread Corn Gluten Meal on your lawn about four to six weeks before weeds
    sprout....that's generally during very early Spring. However, not all weeds sprout in Spring and you may wish to reapply Corn Gluten Meal to your lawn a few times during the growing season to prevent late sprouting weeds from emerging, also, the nitrogen in the meal will help keep your lawn green and growing well.

5. wally world III

Corn Gluten Meal for Crabgrass Control

The idea of using corn gluten meal for weed control burst on the scene in the early 1990's after Dr. Nick Christians at Iowa State accidentally discovered its herbicidal properties while he was testing it for suppression of turf
    diseases. After several years of efficacy studies and product development, corn gluten meal has gained national attention as being the first effective "organic" herbicide. Corn gluten meal is not a registered pesticide because the U.S. EPA has granted an exemption for corn gluten meal as an herbicide.

Corn gluten meal is a product of the wet milling process. It is a pre-emergent herbicide which inhibits root formation during germination. It is currently labeled for control of crabgrass, barnyardgrass, foxtails (Setaria spp.),
    dandelion, lambsquarters, pigweed, purslane and smartweed. Data suggest it has at least some activity on an even wider variety of plants. It is safe to use on established turf. Do not use corn gluten meal in an area in which you are trying to establish turfgrass.

Research shows 50-60 percent control can be achieved in the first year when applied at 20 lbs. Per 1000 ft. Studies suggest that control is improved in successive years and as use rates increase. Currently it is sold as a dry product under various trade names, including Dynaweed, Safe 'N Simple, Earth Friendly, W.O.W.!, Corn Gluten Meal Herbicide and Propac. It is sold for the homeowner market in retail stores as Concern-Weed Prevention Plus. Until
    recently it was only offered in powder form. Now a granular form is available which can be more easily applied with Vikon spreaders, rotary and drop spreaders. Application rates vary from 12 to 20 lbs. per 1000 feet, once in
    early to mid-spring and another in early to mid-August. Since the corn gluten meal is about 10 percent nitrogen, this catches two flushes of crabgrass and spreads out the nitrogen effect. Two applications at 12 lbs/1000 ft. Will
    provide nearly 2.5 lb. N/1000 ft per year. This is the same corn gluten meal sold at feed mills for animal feed; however, it is pelletized for easier and more uniform application.

Portions of at least two proteins in the corn gluten meal, called peptides, are the active ingredients in corn gluten meal. Laboratory studies show the peptides themselves to be significantly more effective at preventing weed
    germination than the corn gluten meal itself. Unfortunately the peptides do not persist in the soil when used as a spray long enough for effective control. Current research is aimed at isolating and packaging these peptides to
    produce a sprayable product.

6. grass disaster

that's great but what's your opinion on the stuff. do you use it?

should i get it down soon?

minnesota here.

7. wally world III

have 65 clients that use Corn Gluten Meal
    some put i down once in spring (mar 15 ----april 8)
    then some want (april 8 -----may 15)
    also have some (may 30-----june 15)
    then (aug 3rd wk is its raining)
    after (sept 4 ---- oct 15)
    final ( nov 4th wk)

i think this stuff works fantastic................
    but, will ever get rid of every weed, not..........
    organic is best way to go period......

using this stuff for 4 years now............

plus, i recommend using following fertilizer 20-10-10, 10-10-10
    only after i get penn state soil test ................

8. Green Quality

Green Quality LawnSite Member

Cgm works,(The amino acids,attack the cell tissue of young sprouts or newly germinated weeds.Bio-war don't you love it.The smell of corn in the morning! ;)

9. gil

gil LawnSite Member

IF the CGM attacks the newly germinated weeds, would it also attack actively and desirable growing blue grass?

10. wally world III

CGM will ONLY kill seed put down............
    please read the above reports.............. :help: