Corn Gluten

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by rugmankc, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

So you have clay soil that goes on forever, and compaction and waterlogged surfaces are a constant struggle. I still say that the aeration and topdressing of a sandy compost is the best bet.

Speaking of gypsum, which I've never tried on my clay for porosity - Does old drywall gypsum board qualify as a recyclable product into the soil?

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL, only to the contractor:)!

3. Smallaxe

Cool, Now I can live the contractors' dream of recycling old and new building materials. Bury then in the ground and allow the soil to flourish. :)

4. tobylou8

I hear it's also a good starter for fairy ring! Then you have a disease to get rid of and get paid!

5. Smallaxe

Sounds synical, [sp]. :) I really have never come across a serious fungal disease, let alone something like 'fairy ring', in 25 yrs. I feel cheated as a result.
    If drywall gives me a shot at a new challenge - here we go... :laugh:

Hopefully someone will let me know if there is documented reason not to use drywall on lawns. I have come across a supply of it and am not sure if it should just go to the landfill. The things we do off season...

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Gypsum is typically used for sodic soil reclamation and nutrients. It has little/no impact on physical compaction, and little impact for dispersed soils if there is already sufficient Ca in the soil.

As far as drywall goes, don't know if I would go that route. Lots of different types of drywall .... if you know the brand and can verify via msds, then why not ... but you need some way to pulverize it (with a good mask of course).

7. tobylou8

Oh the joys of living in the transition zone (7)! I think we are subject to every lawn disease available (yippee!):laughing:. But thats okay, they are all organic!:laugh: From corn gluten to drywall in the same thread. I love this site!

8. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

btw, I just spoke with an expert in the field personally, he said that the salts won't be enough to damage any microfauna substantially. The most effect it may have is cause a slight and temporary imbalance in the food web which makes sense.

9. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

I love your signature line.
    It's sad that this is even more true in the 21st Cent.

10. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

...right yeah I found it the other day I thought it was pretty interesting so I used it.