1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Corn gluten

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by seabee003, Jun 12, 2012.

1. quemador

quemador LawnSite Member
    from orange

Since liquid HCG hit the market, has anyone seen any positive results for its intended purpose?

2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

We have been selling it for a couple of years now. It does reduce, not eliminate, crab grass. Still expensive and not as effective as chemical pre-emergent, but less costly and labor intensive than granular corn gluten.
    It does not supply as much N or organic matter as granular corn gluten.

It is another tool that can be used in an organic lawn care program. It will not work well without proper seeding, mowing, irrigation and other cultural methods.

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with phasthound in that looking at certain items as tools in a wise comprehensive program as opposed to 5-7 step program that will take care of everything automatically with a certain amount of overkill...

4. quemador

quemador LawnSite Member
    from orange

Great! hopefully you will be able to shed light on a question I have,
    I ventured on the website marketing, selling this corn gluten product, but i could not locate any labels specifying the actual concentration of HCGM
    per gal.

I would appreciate any help in clarifying the matter for me. Where looking for new products.

5. phasthound

Are you asking about application rates, or the % of HCGM in the concentrate?

6. scientia

scientia LawnSite Member
    from pa

How much HCGM is in a gallon?:confused:

7. phasthound

The only thing added to the concentrated HCGM is a dash of potassium sorbate as a stabilizer. Ingredients are EPA Exempt 25(B).

The mix rate is 1 gal concentrate to 3 gal water.
    Application rate is 1 gal/K.

8. scientia

scientia LawnSite Member
    from pa

Thanks for clearing up the matter for us.:drinkup:

After reviewing Iowa State website for the technical research
    pertaining to CGM and HCGM used as a pre-m , a few facts become clear.

Both CGM & HCGM were measured out to identical weight(s), "I.e" in dry form first, for all the experiments. Results seemed comparable between them when used at a rate of 200 grams dry per square meter. Results showed HCGM to have less residual activity as well. So 200g a square meter would mean you would need 41 pounds to do 1000sf?

HCGM comes initially dry from manufacturer. It essentially has equal? herbicidal qualities as CGM but with the favorable attribute of being water soluble hence sprayable.

Im open to clarification.

9. scientia

scientia LawnSite Member
    from pa

Apparently no vendors wants to talk shop on this subject? Was hoping to get some clarification whether my calculations were correct or skewed.

10. BR Green

BR Green LawnSite Member

The drought situation in the corn growing states are causing massive crop loss. Corn futures are rising quickly so all corn products will have price increases. My supplier was saying that we might see 40# bags up to $30.00 by next year. We're getting them for $12.00 each right now.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20120730-708976.html